Low Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettV

Reaction score
Brewed 5.25 gallons of a pale ale on 12/15 that looked like this:

8.5# 2-row
0.5# Caramel 60

All galaxy hops, 1.5 ounces in total.

BIAB, Aimed for a mash temp of 149/150. Temperature did seem to drop more than usual over the hour. Usually I don't lose more than a degree or 2, but with this batch it was in the low 140s after 60 minutes. I'm sure that contributed to the problem. My OG was 1050, and according to my software using Wyeast 1272, my FG should have been 1013, but instead when I tested it yesterday it was 1004. I fermented on the low end, too, setting my ferm chamber around 60 degrees. My hydrometer is fairly new and recently calibrated. I'm sure the big loss in mash temp probably hurt me, but this just seems insanely low. I tasted my sample yesterday, and it was expectedly very thin and very dry, and I got none of the beautiful galaxy hop flavor. I have 2.5 ounces left that I'll be dry-hopping the keg with, but I'm wondering what can be done to help the body of the beer. I've heard adding a small amount of maltodextrin can help; can anyone speak to that?

Back