Low Fermentation for WLP001; Who raises tempeture to finish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlainD

Reaction score
There have been many posts on fermenting WLP001 around 60 and lot of scattered information and opinions on what temperatures to ferment at and weather or not to raise the temperature to help clear up beers during fermentation and when.

I've got a beer in the fermentation chamber now with an ambient temp. of 57-60. OG was 1.043~ and my target FG is 1.010. Took at gravity measure last night and it was 1.030~. I'm going to raise the temperature to 65 when it hits 1.020~ then when it gets close to final gravity I'm going to bump it up again to 70.

What dose everyone else do with WLP001 with most fermentation around 60?

I raise the temp on all my ales at the end of fermentation. Many reasons for doing this which is easy once you have temp control.

I use WLP001 quite frequently for my IPA's. I usually ferment at 60 for 2 weeks and let it rise to 62 for another 7-10 days when I dry hop it. I've never had a problem getting my gravity from 1.070 to 1.010. If you are planing on fermenting at the low end for your yeast strain proper pitching rates and oxygen are key.

+1 on pitch rate at low end of temp range.

In addition, I'd suggest you gently swirl the carboy to rouse the yeast. Can't hurt. Do that at the same time you raise temperature or attempt rousing first and if it doesn't do the trick, re-rouse and raise temperature.

Cheers

Back