Low alcohol beer brewing procedure advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max.dean

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out how to best create a low alcohol beer. Post-fermentation heating sounds like it eliminates all those flavors I work to develop. I am only six all-grain batches in so far, so I feel a bit challenged on how to approach alternatives. My research hasn’t been very successful so far. For context, low-alcohol in my meaning is 2% or less alcohol.

Dilution seems like it would generally retain flavor, but I am getting a bit confused how to maintain body, as I feel that if I start with a normal-OG beer and dilute it I will dilute everything about it (I am focusing on beers with wheat, if that matters). I have read a tiny bit about specific grain bills that might be rich in body but produce a low-OG wort, but I am not sure I can do that with wheat - and I haven’t read deeply on this possible option.

Any further guidance from those who brew such beers? Do any particular types lend themselves more than others to low-alcohol conversion? Do low-alcohol wheat beers exist?

Check out Basic Brewing podcast. In a recent episode they brew up a beer with rye and wheat. Sounded fairly hoppy and I believe it was around 2% abv. Sounded delicious and I’ll give it a shot in the spring.

In the Forum ist a sub 1.03 og Beer thread. There are good ideas inside. You can also search for cold mash, which extracts the flavour, but not the sugars, at least it's supposed to.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/sub-1-030-beers.378450/

In my experiences, cold extraction extracts sugars (as well as flavors and colors):
Any further guidance from those who brew such beers?
Investigate mashing at a higher temperature before exploring cold extraction.

Mashing at a higher temperature is easier (and a more common approach) for attempting to make low ABV beers.

Note that cold extraction has a number of uses (listen to the HomeBrew Con 2016 presentation) that are generally not discussed in the forums - so if one is looking to explore malt flavors, this technique is worth looking into.

Last edited:
If you're looking to maintain body in a light, low ABV beer, consider using torrified wheat as an adjunct. Keep your mash temps slightly higher and consider using a less modified base malt. More highly modified base malts will convert more easily - especially with an extended mash - but will yield a thinner wort when diluted. Personally, I'm no fan of the flavors carapils and cara hell malts contribute in certain styles but it's something else to think about.

I’d try doing an infusion mash at 170F with pale ale malt. Do a mashout to denature the enzymes after the mash. Shoot for OG no higher than about 1.035. Use a low attenuating yeast like the Fullers strain. Should come in under 2%. You could try mashing hotter but i have no experience with that.

this thread is interesting: (203) Any one brew the Tafelbier? | HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Post #12 Upright 2% Ale is a recipe I give two thumbs up to and have brewed a half dozen times.

Repeating the excellent above advice from various posters, I think the key basics are:
1. Mash high like 158 - 160
2. reduce base grains but keep the specialty grains (usually becomes water down if you reduce all in proportion) in a recipe.
3. use a low attenuating yeast such as the Fullers strain (WLP002/Pub)
4. Mash for no more than 45 minutes. 30 minute short and shoddy is probably fine
5. Ex. If you take a standard 5% ABV recipe, drop the base malt 1#, mash at 158 vs 152, and use Pub yeast, you will probably take the ABV down by 20%, if not more.

FYI,Czech pilsners have a whole genre of 8 plato or 1032 OG beers. The English have an even larger genre of same. shut up about barclay perkins blog post has literally hundreds of brewery brewed recipes that are around 1030.

IMHO,
1. beers below 1030 are too light in body for my taste
2. I think cold mash and hot mash show promise, but I'm not willing to spend more time trying to dial those in. you can listen to this Basic Brewing podcast by scrolling down to 23 July: Basic Brewing™ : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - Basic Brewing Radio™
3. I have at least two dozen recipes that fall in the 2-4% ABV range that I like and rotate thru. That's good enough for me. That said, anyone out there that figures out the cold mash or 180F mash process for a winning recipe, then please share

Thanks for all the responses; I’ve taken a look at each of them. Based on research from this information I feel I have a few initial areas I can explore as a beginner, namely higher temp and shorter time mashes. I don’t have too broad a base of knowledge about malts yet so that’s an area to explore to augment body, it seems, if the first two options lead to something thinner than I want.

I did take a look at using a lower attenuation yeast.This chart, however, seems to indicate that the WLP300 I am typically using is already able to hit about as low as you can go with a German ale yeast. I suspect it’s worth further research though.

Guess I have my work cut out for me - but seems like plenty of others out there on the same quest to draw insights from. Going to also try heating on 1 gallon of a future batch, just to experience how the heating affects the final product in practice.

I’d try doing an infusion mash at 170F with pale ale malt. Do a mashout to denature the enzymes after the mash. Shoot for OG no higher than about 1.035. Use a low attenuating yeast like the Fullers strain. Should come in under 2%. You could try mashing hotter but i have no experience with that.

Geez... should be very malty too!

I've been working on what I call my xtra pale ale. Usually around 2.6% abv, I know that's higher than you want. I cut base malt way down (about 1 lb per finished gallon) and kept specialty malts at normal qty. I use dextrin malts to help with body. I basically brew the same as my 6% abv beers otherwise. I say start simple.

Back