Low ABV and kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie10

Reaction score
There are statements that kveik performs better in high OG. Not sure that's verified, but those who state this then conclude kveik isn't a good choice for a low OG/low ABV beer.

This confuses me. If maltotriose negative and low attenuation yeasts like Windsor are recommended for low ABV, then if kveik doesn't attenuate well in low OG environments isn't that a good thing if you are trying to minimize ABV?

if kveik doesn't attenuate well in low OG environments isn't that a good thing if you are trying to minimize ABV?
You're jumping to conclusions. It's more that kveiks have evolved in high-gravity worts and need relatively high levels of nutrients (like around 180ppm FAN) to sustain their high metabolic rates that give quick fermentations. Worts of 1.050 or less will generally have less FAN than that, so without extra nutrients the yeast will be unhappy. And unhappy yeast don't necessarily "attenuate badly", they just don't ferment as well, give off-flavours etc.

You want happy yeast.

M
There are statements that kveik performs better in high OG. Not sure that's verified, but those who state this then conclude kveik isn't a good choice for a low OG/low ABV beer.

Yeah I heard all that , in the end I even did a 3.5% ginger beer with just white sugar , heaps of fresh ginger and powdered ginger, and a teaspoon of brewshop nutrient powder. It should have hit about 3.5% according to calcs and it did . Pitched at 39 degrees, very well insulated. Was a bit slow , primary 5 days ( not 3 like it would a malty beer ) and let sit for 2 more to settle and ferment right out, bottled day 7. But it got there. On the other hand I've done a Russian Imperial Stout up around 8% and it was still dropping points on the hydrometer between days 9 and day 11. Bottled on day 11 thought that has to be it, and it was . 8.1% but it took a long time. Fastest ferments ACTUALLY seem to be in that 4.5 to 5.5% sweet spot!

Back