Love the new grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMoreBeers

Reaction score
So, I am in process on my first batch with my new grain mill... I have never milled my own grains before.

Suffice it is say the mash was a little sticky. But went okay once I slowed everything way down.

The great (or bad depending on ones point of view) was that I really missed my Pre-Boil gravity by a ton. I normally miss a little low so I have gotten into the habit of rounding up my grain bill. Well, today I was over my target OG before the boil even began. This is going to be one strong brew.

Robust Porter - 25.5 lbs grain bill, Chocolate malts and vanilla bean flavor.

Pre-boil target 1.050 - actual 1.066
OG target 1.065 actual TBD

oh, a quick question... should i up the hop bill since the gravity overshoot sooo much? it is only scheduled to hop to 42 IBU with Chinoock (2 oz and 60) and Cascade (2 oz at 10).

This might be a little late, but if you want to keep the same balance you'll probably want to increase the hops to keep the same BU:GU ratio. If it was just a little off, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it, but your gravity was a LOT higher than you expected.... almost 33% more than you planned for! I'm not the most experienced brewer out here, but that's what I would do.

cool... that is what i thought too. i just added a 20 minute addition that my spreadsheet says should bring the balance back in line. we will see in a few months.

If you think you will overshoot your gravity, use less grain.

If you overshoot your OG, just add water later. I do this all the time. I usually add after the fermentation is finished.

Maybe I don't understand what you're saying.

passedpawn, you understand correctly. I just hate to add water to my brew. I'll just call this one a double and re-adjust for my new and improved efficiency next time around.

What size batch are you making and why did you think a "suffice to say" sticky mash was expected?

iaefebs said:
What size batch are you making and why did you think a "suffice to say" sticky mash was expected?

Well, I knew it would run a little slower than the crush from my LHBS, but I was surprised how much slower. I set my mill at .035" because that seemed to be the ideal on the posts I read.

My LHBS crush would recirculate easily with my ball value open nearly full bore. With the new crush that sucked the grain bed tight and stuck. I stirred and tried again with it half open and stuck again. On the third try I cracked the valve just enough to get flow and then it worker fine.

It was a ten gallon batch.

15.5 lbs base
8 lbs specialty
2 lbs flaked oats

I was guessing 10 gallon batch...

What are you using to strain with...I have mymonster mill set at .036 and was able to run mine wide open... Cooler mash tun with a water heater braid...

I have a 12" SS false bottom that I used to use in my ten-gallon cooler mash tun... now I am using it in a converted keg. I may need something with more surface area.

Back