Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the new push cart out for 9 holes this morning, first round of the seaaon. Temps were in the low 40's, all the grass was still dead, and I loved every minute I was out there.
View attachment 722067
Shot a 48, which was great considering I had putting meltdowns and scored an 8 on 2 holes.
That's awesome! Reminds me of a month ago, I went out to my local course which is in a small valley. Grass had frosted over totally white as of 6:30am (when I teed off).
Putting was pretty challenging....some parts of the green were like an ice rink and others were defrosting and ran more like a puddle...
I didnt keep track of my score, but had a blast nonetheless!

Two weeks later than originally planned... But I got him out and we had fun.

PXL_20210313_213146426.jpg

I grabbed a 12 of what I THOUGHT was an IPA last week. Not even close, what a dissapointment. It's a watermelon gose, just about the worst accident I could make beer-wise. BUT, it was actually pretty good this afternoon. Quite a warm one out there and it went down just fine.

Two Canadian geese in the background. I assume they are preparing to return north, hopefully. We enjoy the visit from our northern friends, but the party's over, go home.

1616024872581.png

So I ordered a package of replacement spikes on Amazon. Black Widow classic from Softspikes. Somebody messed up and sent me a box of 6. If anyone wants a set, send me a pm and I'll hook you up.
20210320_164507.jpg

I got out and walked 9 last Friday. Didn't play too bad actually but I was about 10-15 shorter on my irons and 15-20 yards shorter on my drives. Back didn't care for it either. This week I've been doing some exercises for my glutes and my back seems to be much happier, so hopefully that'll translate into my playing. Here's me with a stupid beard I shaved off the other day (my winter beard minus the upper part of my face) ha! The course was actually in pretty good shape, a little soggy in spots.
IMG_20210319_144415674.jpg

I got out and walked 9 last Friday. Didn't play too bad actually but I was about 10-15 shorter on my irons and 15-20 yards shorter on my drives. Back didn't care for it either. This week I've been doing some exercises for my glutes and my back seems to be much happier, so hopefully that'll translate into my playing. Here's me with a stupid beard I shaved off the other day (my winter beard minus the upper part of my face) ha! The course was actually in pretty good shape, a little soggy in spots.
View attachment 723559

If you've got back issues, maybe get a push cart?

If you've got back issues, maybe get a push cart?
It's not from carrying the bag, it's from the rotation of the body. Golf isn't the best thing for the back, generally, and if you've got life long back issues (yo), it's worse. But I'm hoping to do some exercises to strengthen my back and glutes to improve that situation.

March in Maryland. I started the morning waiting for the frost to melt. An hour later it was approaching 50 degrees.
View attachment 723051
Kinda' looks like the first hole at Black Rock outside of Hagerstown. It's a fun little track, not very long, easy putting though smallish greens, several holes that will test your short game. Two of the par 5s are reachable in 2, though there's risk/reward with surrounding hazards. Used to play there often since the course favored my game.

Plastic golf tees?

I bought a bajillion of them online (Pride Evolution USA American Flag 3 1/4" 3.25 Golf Tees White - You Choose the # | eBay). I really like the plastic ones as they almost never break. But I do lose them ever X holes because they fling to Whoknowswhere and I can't locate.

I guess it takes many years for them to break down. On the other hand, I don't see piles of golf tees sitting around tee boxes, so either the earth is happily assimilating them or the greens-keepers are sweeping them up.

Then I see this article and wonder...

https://golftoday.co.uk/plastic-tees-a-bad-tease-for-the-birds

I visited there to go hiking without my clubs. Beautiful country. I'd like to go back and stay at the Fairmont.
I played the course 4 years ago. The Fairmont was the venue for my nephew's wedding. I was coming off a year without playing after tearing a rotator cuff. Two of my brothers-in-law shamed me into playing to round out the foresome with my nephew.

The rental clubs were game improvement Titleist with senior flex. The appearance at address was totally different than my Mizuno irons and Ping woods, but it felt really good on the practice range. Shot 88 and couldn't believe how relaxed I felt. Couldn't putt to save my a** however.

Avoided the sand and stayed dry all day, but the elk were just coming into rut. The Marshall told us we had to let them play through. Got a few free drops out of those pee dampened troughs. Gives an all new twist to lift, clean and place. Eeeuuwww. 😖

Got new clubs on the way. Tried out the new Sim2 Max irons, liked 'em, decided to go with 5-AW. The simulator at Golf USA in Coralville, IA had me hitting a 7 close to 175 yards. I asked the guy, "How accurate are these things?" He said, "Pretty accurate. You'll see about a club to club and a half increase in distance with these irons." That was after I told him what my current irons were (Titleist DCI 981) and normally a 7 iron for me is my about 155-160 club. Probably still not going to translate to hitting a 7 iron 175 in real life, but the club felt good anyway. I'm not a long hitter, never have been, never will be, and I'm fine with that.

Some stats, if any of you guys know anything about them - my clubhead speed was around 75 mph, ball speed was around 110mph for a 7 iron. Looking it up, the average golfer is more in the 90mph range for clubhead speed. Jeez, I'm really at a disadvantage it seems. Whatever...

Got new clubs on the way. Tried out the new Sim2 Max irons, liked 'em, decided to go with 5-AW. The simulator at Golf USA in Coralville, IA had me hitting a 7 close to 175 yards. I asked the guy, "How accurate are these things?" He said, "Pretty accurate. You'll see about a club to club and a half increase in distance with these irons." That was after I told him what my current irons were (Titleist DCI 981) and normally a 7 iron for me is my about 155-160 club. Probably still not going to translate to hitting a 7 iron 175 in real life, but the club felt good anyway. I'm not a long hitter, never have been, never will be, and I'm fine with that.

Some stats, if any of you guys know anything about them - my clubhead speed was around 75 mph, ball speed was around 110mph for a 7 iron. Looking it up, the average golfer is more in the 90mph range for clubhead speed. Jeez, I'm really at a disadvantage it seems. Whatever...

Interesting outlook on clubs.

When I started out golfing, a set of irons was 2 thru W, plus a sand iron and a putter. My last set (six years ago, Top 100 Golf Digest fitter) was 6 thru Gap Wedge. 3 wedges total, 4 woods, putter. Still under 14 sticks in the bag, so after a year I added a 5 iron. Between the new sticks and the "Play it forward" campaign that Arnie and Jack were promoting at the time, the game gave me a few more very enjoyable years.

I can still remember some old duffers who fancied themselves scratch hitters carrying 1 irons. I guess they never heard Lee Trevino's admonition that, "Only God can hit a 1 iron."

I've never seen a 1i. I still hit a 3i and 4i as I don't have a fairway wood. Must get one this year.

Played yesterday. I'm adding at least 10 yds onto my drives now by getting better hip rotation. On my back swing, I lift my leading foot's heel. I never did that before (kept it flat), but I realize it lets my old body turn that much more, and consequently get more rotation for the actual swing.

Love my 1i. I normally only use it on the course when it's windy and mostly off of elevation drops off the tee. It's a bullet that easily gets close to my driver distance if the fairway is rolling.

I love using it at the range when it feels like I'm striking the ball well but accuracy is off. Using the 1i exaggerates timing issues and hammers u back into shape. It's not that difficult to hit it off the deck either.

Hopefully playing in Boston tomorrow. Close to 70°!
IMG_20210408_152656.jpg
IMG_20210408_152709.jpg

Before I took a 20 year hiatus from the game, a 1-iron was always in my bag, and that was nothing unusual then, before hybrids caught on. I still carry a 2-iron with a +1/2" shaft and feel much more confident with that than a 5 wood or the equivalent hybrid. I don't hit it as high as I use to, but it's still almost as useful.

Love my 1i. I normally only use it on the course when it's windy and mostly off of elevation drops off the tee. It's a bullet that easily gets close to my driver distance if the fairway is rolling.

I love using it at the range when it feels like I'm striking the ball well but accuracy is off. Using the 1i exaggerates timing issues and hammers u back into shape. It's not that difficult to hit it off the deck either.

Hopefully playing in Boston tomorrow. Close to 70°!View attachment 725048View attachment 725049
fahkin lefties! ;)

Um, the Sim2 Max loft on a 7i is 28.5*. The Titleist DCI 981 7i is 35*. The Titleist 5i is at 28*. So yeah, the loft for the Sim2 Max is two clubs stronger than your current set.

What do you normally hit your 5i to? That should be your comparison distance to the Sim2 Max.

BTW the PGA Tour average for a 7i clubhead speed is 90 mph, so that's nowhere near "average golfer"... You shouldn't bother comparing yourself to them.

Um, the Sim2 Max loft on a 7i is 28.5*. The Titleist DCI 981 7i is 35*. The Titleist 5i is at 28*. So yeah, the loft for the Sim2 Max is two clubs stronger than your current set.

What do you normally hit your 5i to? That should be your comparison distance to the Sim2 Max.

BTW the PGA Tour average for a 7i clubhead speed is 90 mph, so that's nowhere near "average golfer"... You shouldn't bother comparing yourself to them.
Good point. I guess I hadn't thought about the loft. A 5 iron was always my 180 yard club, so by what you say, that makes sense. It'll take some adjusting, but I'm looking forward to it, especially having clubs that are fit to me. I was never fitted for my current set, the 981's. They're good clubs, they were mid-top of the line back in 2000. I will probably benefit from game-improvement irons these days.

Yeah, I'm a believer in fitting... But then I'm 6'5" and my swing speed *is* 90 mph on a 7i, so I can't buy OTR clubs...

My bag of clubs is 20 years old, though, so I'm looking for new clubs this year too.

I think I'm going to end up with these for irons...

https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-699-pro-satin-irons.html
It's a little-known DTC company, but everyone I talk to on a golf site absolutely loves them, and the price is right. Worst case they have a 60 day return policy, so if they don't work I can always send them back. Thinking I want to go 4-AW in those, get a 2 utility iron as a driving iron, and two of their wedges (one either 54 or 56 bent to 55, and one low-bounce 60). Should be able to outfit everything in my bag other than woods or putter for ~1K built to my preferred shafts, grips, and specs.

Those look nice. I'm looking forward to new clubs. I'd like to also get some kind of utility fairway metal like a 5 wood or rescue club of some kind. Need a new driver and 3 wood too...blargh. So much money, but I probably wouldn't have to buy again for another 20 years if I don't want to.

Good point. I guess I hadn't thought about the loft. A 5 iron was always my 180 yard club, so by what you say, that makes sense. It'll take some adjusting, but I'm looking forward to it, especially having clubs that are fit to me. I was never fitted for my current set, the 981's. They're good clubs, they were mid-top of the line back in 2000. I will probably benefit from game-improvement irons these days.

I've never had new clubs. Craigslist specials, hand-me-downs, etc. But I think it's time to look into it, maybe this summer.

Back