Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of bump and runs, I bought a new club last week and used it Saturday. It's one of those putters with a 45 degree angle on the face. I used it at least 5 times and it worked very very well. Use a putting stroke and the ball leaps about 5-10 feet straight as an arrow. It's great for golfers that have a bad habit of just missing the green every time :) No more putting from the fringe, or shanking a soft wedge from there. I highly recommend. I chipped the ball within 5' from the hole every time with this.

I know you guys are probably expert short chippers, but I'm not. My oldest boy always uses his 8 iron, with the ball at his back foot, and gets the same effect.

View attachment 631756
I played a lot of golf with a friend who had one of those. From 50 60 yards in or so, he played it. Maybe even more. Sounds awesome, I need to try one. So just like that it worked for you? That's huge.

I played a lot of golf with a friend who had one of those. From 50 60 yards in or so, he played it. Maybe even more. Sounds awesome, I need to try one. So just like that it worked for you? That's huge.

Yep. Just from the driving range. Hit a ton at the chipping green with that bump and run chipper. Man I'm not going back to an iron. I did not shank or duff one ball. They all went straight and nearly all were in 1-putt range.

Speaking of bump and runs, I bought a new club last week and used it Saturday. It's one of those putters with a 45 degree angle on the face. I used it at least 5 times and it worked very very well. Use a putting stroke and the ball leaps about 5-10 feet straight as an arrow. It's great for golfers that have a bad habit of just missing the green every time :) No more putting from the fringe, or shanking a soft wedge from there. I highly recommend. I chipped the ball within 5' from the hole every time with this.

I know you guys are probably expert short chippers, but I'm not. My oldest boy always uses his 8 iron, with the ball at his back foot, and gets the same effect.

My dad has one of those - vintage, too, with an actual wooden shaft. If I'm playing with him, I'll borrow it for those just-off-the-green shots. If not, I'll use my 4-iron, choked way up with a putter stroke.
His is not a 45-degree angle, more like 25 - 30 degrees or so. But just enough with a good hit to pop it up and on.

Fast day out there. We were done in 3:45. My game is dr jekyll / mr hyde. I had several pars and a birdie, and then a few snowmen. I'm pretty good from within 100, but my long irons are letting me down right now. I've got some lessons my wife bought me, need to use those.

This course, Westchase Golf Club. Tons of water. Picture below is the Hole 3. Lots of bridges on this course, and one long one through the woods had a nice babbling brook under it.

Flyover. If you have the patience to watch this, note how many tee shots have to carry 100+ yards of water (almost all of them!). Fortunately, I think I got over all of the safely.

upload_2019-6-20_13-3-18.png

upload_2019-6-20_13-3-29.png

Beautiful pp. Those carries are legit. Sounds like the game is doing well. How did the chipper work? I tip on big scores. When you hit a bad shot, try to enjoy the challenge of making par. A lot of times you can end up outscoring everyone on a hole. Sneaking out today, too!!

Last edited:
Beautiful pp. Those carries are legit. Sounds like the game is doing well. How did the chipper work? I tip on big scores. When you hit a bad shot, try to enjoy the challenge of making par. A lot of times you can end up outscoring everyone on a hole. Sneaking out today, too!!

That little cheater chipper I bought is absolutely the best club in my bag right now. I'll bet I one-putted 16 of the holes on that round.

Played in an annual scramble with my dad and brothers. -14. Winning team was -18. I contributed a few shots but did not play particularly well. We made some clutch putts though. Looking forward to a couple of rounds in Myrtle Beach in a few weeks.

14 under is awesome. That's why I dont like to play in those to much. To many dang ringers. I played 9 today and played good. Super good day. Just average score or whatever but had fun and enjoyed it and did well. Cheers.

14 under is awesome. That's why I dont like to play in those to much. To many dang ringers. I played 9 today and played good. Super good day. Just average score or whatever but had fun and enjoyed it and did well. Cheers.

My father was a 2-4 handicapper for years. My older brother is about a 10. Amazing how low you can score when there are 4 tries from every spot. Especially when putting outside of 10 ft, the last guy has seen several putts from the same spot. Plus teams can purchase mulligans.
I drove 8 hours there the day before and 8 hours back after the round. Worth it to play with family.

I'm a 14.8 index right now. Trending even lower. But hey, I'm retired and play or practice at least 5 times a week. Should be single digit in a few months I believe.

Jealous. I always like his setup. I can tell even from this pic he is on line. Cool deer shot. That course looks hard.

Played the Norman course at Barefoot Landing in Myrtle Beach today with my dad and brothers. Not my best outing but a good time. Shot just under 100 with two 8s and a ten. Need to make better shot choices. Not a great pic but a nice little par 3 along the inter coastal waterway.
IMG_2552.JPG

Played the Norman course at Barefoot Landing in Myrtle Beach today with my dad and brothers. Not my best outing but a good time. Shot just under 100 with two 8s and a ten. Need to make better shot choices. Not a great pic but a nice little par 3 along the inter coastal waterway.

That's always the thing isn't it? My usual thought after a bad shot choice is something like "If only I could go back and chip to a nice level lie instead of going for the green from the rough with the ball 2 feet above my own feet".

I am guilty of trying to do things with the golf ball and bad lies that I'm not capable of doing 90% of the time. I get lured into making a bad shot because about 10% of the time they still work.

I get to play, usually, 2 different times each year. A round or two when I visit family in Florida around Christmas and a round or 2 when we go to Dauphin Island in the summer. That trip is next week :)

Isle Dauphine is definitely not the best course in the world, but it's a good time to get away from the in-law side of the family for a bit, drink lots of beer, and play some golf.

Today is the day, playing in member guest at f.i.l. club. Hope we win I guess party tonight and Saturday.

I was finally able to play 18 today. I've been out with injured ribs for over a month. The results were what I'd expect for not playing 4+ weeks and no warm up prior to playing. 59 front and 45 back. I should go hit a few balls prior to playing but I like being out early and having the course to myself so I consider the front 9 to be practice. I suppose I should consider the whole round as practice with the new USGA rules about playing as a single not counting toward a handicap index.

I suppose I should consider the whole round as practice with the new USGA rules about playing as a single not counting toward a handicap index.

Glad that wasn't a thing when I was actually playing often and keeping track. I played A LOT of solo rounds before going home from work since the course was right across the street.

Ok, I'm back home now. Only got this pic of the first. Played good in the practice round this morning, but by 4 when the match started I did not play as well. This course, Augusta of the west is just a beast. I.e. I hit a great wedge to the pin and watched in horror as it trickled and then ran near off the complete other side of the green.

Some putts are stupid fast, others slow, some huge break, some no break, and I kid you not, they all look the same. Literally the same. Because it sits at the base of a mountain. That 1st hole for example if you hit it on the upper tier and the pin is lower, the ball is going off the green and down the fairway. I have played well there only to lose every stroke on green. The guys that play well there are some real sticks. Didn't help opponents horse shot 36 and the high handicapper played amazeballs of course. There were 7 or 8 birdies with net from the group. A 2 and a 23 paired up?!

Slope out there is in the high 130s I think from one up tees and rated 73 from the back. Par is 70 and it's about 6500 from the second to back. Finished with a birdie on the king sue, hole 7. Its 450 to a shot over a lake that is carry the whole way. Couldn't believe it myself, almost jarred it. So at least got that goin for me. Yeah, two more 9 hole matches tomorrow and Saturday. Almost wondering wth did I get myself into. Talk about 1st world problems. Lucky just to get to play there ever.
Screenshot_20190711-224834_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20190711-224822_Gallery.jpeg

Thanks, was worried I was getting to dear diary.

So today, and I heard he could putt, we play a past winner. This guy is 75 and not very big. But he hits one, two short of the green and chips 3 on. Planned every time. Not long enough to reach, he does his thing. Anyways, putt good? He was like an effin yoda. I'm not kidding. Man I have seen some good putters over the years, but nothing like this.

Played good, well at least better. When the dust settled we upped them with a little help from them. Second match they helped us to. Didn't get as much as would have liked but here we are. In second and in the thick of things. The winners of each flight then go and play with the whole pack following. Man I want to etch my name on this thing. Honestly, I cant tell if its fear or lack of game right now holding me back a pinch. Kinda weird playing so many days in a row. Hit great out there guys.

Thanks, was worried I was getting to dear diary.

So today, and I heard he could putt, we play a past winner. This guy is 75 and not very big. But he hits one, two short of the green and chips 3 on. Planned every time. Not long enough to reach, he does his thing. Anyways, putt good? He was like an effin yoda. I'm not kidding. Man I have seen some good putters over the years, but nothing like this.

Played good, well at least better. When the dust settled we upped them with a little help from them. Second match they helped us to. Didn't get as much as would have liked but here we are. In second and in the thick of things. The winners of each flight then go and play with the whole pack following. Man I want to etch my name on this thing. Honestly, I cant tell if its fear or lack of game right now holding me back a pinch. Kinda weird playing so many days in a row. Hit great out there guys.

Drive for show, putt for dough. Those old guys usually put it right down the middle. Then they putt it right in the hole. What they lack in length they make up for in experience. But, you already know this, lol.

Hope you had a good time anyway.

Last edited:
Haha, that's right. But that isnt the whole story. This tournament was definitely won and loss on the moss. That said they asked Hogan why he didn't list putter first on three most important clubs. He said, because if you are putting for 8 who cares. I really want to get better at putting.

So, tournament ended with dinner last night. Gift was a foot joy pullover with logo and 2019 invitational. Super sweet. Loved all the guys. I always do, man, we always seem to hit it off. The world they live in feels so far removed from mine. This super cool younger guy, was like yeah that's my house. Well he lives in another state but spends a few weeks in this gorgeous house off one of the greens.

Played killer the final day. I didn't want to be a Richard and say I hadn't played well yet, but I hadn't. I struggled on range, and here and there. But played good. I think it was 38 or something on the front. We won 4 of 5 matches so that's cool. But we didn't get enough points. We took second in our flight so there is money there I think. It was fun I might seek some more competitive golf chances in the future.

I played yesterday. Not one to brag about, but fun nonetheless. I've got a trip this week to new orleans. When I get back, I'm taking lessons. They are already paid for, just have to dedicate the time.
If you had a good time that's something to brag about. Safe travels friend.

I forgot to mention that we saw a zillion deer on the course. On one fairway, a mother and two fawn were trotting around while we were driving. The ones in the woods are in more danger though when I'm driving :)

Here's a picture of one that was hanging out on the green. She stayed with us while putting.

upload_2019-7-16_8-22-11.png

upload_2019-7-16_8-22-34.png

The nature out there looks amazing. I like the birds to and would love to see any of them. I never look for balls to hard out there.

Humbled today. No game. Probably the poorest I have driven the ball in years. Literally years. Honestly I seriously cant remember the last time I put a ball in another fairway more than once. I miss lots of fairways and hit terrible shots, sure, but carry the trees deep into another fairway multiple times. And then man vs tree, yeah right that didn't work. I guess I should have aimed around them. Ob into the street at 11,for a triple on 2nd hole. Had fun and kept a good attitude.

Hit some great putts and hit a few low running hooks, a couple really good. Driving has always been the strongest part of my game. Probably because that's all I would do as a kid. Anyways hit them good. The most important lesson is the first. Grip, stance, posture and alignment. You here the pros talk about "fundamentals" all the time. These are the fundamentals. A little weird to me because wrestling fundamentals are so different. But yeah these are them. Check out tigers grip, alignment and stance for example. I could go on and on, let me know if anyone wants some tips there.

Willis case sits high in denver gorgeous views and elevated tees. The new club house is cool. 28 to walk. Here is a look up 18 used to go all the way up the clubhouse. Green sat right below it, par 5. Now long par 4. One pic is looking down the 1st which is right of 18.
20190716_100918.jpeg
Screenshot_20190716-230932.jpeg
Screenshot_20190716-230845.jpeg
Screenshot_20190716-231115_Google.jpeg

Did you see the story from ut. Wife just showed me, guy drove ball into 6yo daughter and killed her. I cant imagine what he is going through.

Did you see the story from ut. Wife just showed me, guy drove ball into 6yo daughter and killed her. I cant imagine what he is going through.
1st off that's absolutely aweful obviously but why was the cart parked that far in front of the tee box? Sliced it and still hit her? I'd probably put a gun to my head..

1st off that's absolutely aweful obviously but why was the cart parked that far in front of the tee box? Sliced it and still hit her? I'd probably put a gun to my head..

Haven't read the story, just the headline. A guess would be a shank.

I've hit two people with golf balls during my golfing career. Both times they were somewhere I asked them not to be. Both times they said "go ahead and hit, you hit the ball straight every time". After the second time I will not hit unless the forward person is watching me swing.

Haven't read the story, just the headline. A guess would be a shank.

I've hit two people with golf balls during my golfing career. Both times they were somewhere I asked them not to be. Both times they said "go ahead and hit, you hit the ball straight every time". After the second time I will not hit unless the forward person is watching me swing.

I was working as a course marshal (Shalimar Pointe, in the Florida panhandle) when I saw a guy go down, hit by a ball (par 3, wild shot), hit in the knee. I asked his playing partner if I should call for a doctor. Turned out he was a doctor. Luckily it wasn't serious.

Reminded me of a favorite cartoon. A guy is lying by the green, having some kind of medical emergency. The caption has one guy saying "it's OK. There is a doctor three holes back and the players in front of him are going to let him play through".

Latest posts

Back