Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I astutely loved them, can you hit any spin with these old vgrove clubs

I tried them for the first time yesterday. Man they feel different than my cavityback Nikes - I kept blading the balls. I only took a few with me and abandoned them on the course - need to get to the driving range with them before I take them back on the course. And yes, with the sandblasting everything has tons of spin (IF you get under it).

I tried them for the first time yesterday. Man they feel different than my cavityback Nikes - I kept blading the balls. I only took a few with me and abandoned them on the course - need to get to the driving range with them before I take them back on the course. And yes, with the sandblasting everything has tons of spin (IF you get under it).
I suspect they are heavy capered to yours, I kind of like heavy clubs my self, I grew up playing on Jack Nicholson's golf clubs and woods< i miss those

https://www.golfclubsi.com/jack-nicklaus-golden-bear-golf-clubs.html

The old Reflex seem much lighter than the Nike's that I have. In the yard, I was sure I was getting much more head speed. On the course, they rattled in my hands when poorly hit the ball.

Of course, it's likely more a matter of my bad swing. Anyway, I'm going to reserve judgement until I've spent more time at the driving range. (I do not enjoy the driving range!)

The old Reflex seem much lighter than the Nike's that I have. In the yard, I was sure I was getting much more head speed. On the course, they rattled in my hands when poorly hit the ball.

Of course, it's likely more a matter of my bad swing. Anyway, I'm going to reserve judgement until I've spent more time at the driving range. (I do not enjoy the driving range!)
I spent years on the driving range hitting those rock hard balls, I under stand

1676419694387.jpeg

Got to the course too late today to play with the group, but at least playing alone I could practice some shots and take a few photos. The dormant grass on the green doesn't look too pretty but it puts well.

I played last week for money. Broke even. Turns out, you can have lots of lousy holes as long as the hot shots keep tying on them, and the money pushes to the next hole. Then, if you time your par correctly (when the hot shots find the woods), you walk away with the the booty.

Think I'll get out this weekend. Woot.

I played last week for money. Broke even. Turns out, you can have lots of lousy holes as long as the hot shots keep tying on them, and the money pushes to the next hole. Then, if you time your par correctly (when the hot shots find the woods), you walk away with the the booty.

Think I'll get out this weekend. Woot.

Yep. Used to play in a group with a couple of coworkers where we had two decent players and two hacks. I was in the latter category. So we played skins and the hacks got a stroke a hole.

Well, the sticks mostly tied each other most of the time, and so any time one of us hacks simply made a par it was a net birdie and usually winning the hole (as long as the other hack didn't do the same).

Unfortunately in my current group I'm the low man, which reverses things on me. But the indexes aren't so disparate that it's a stroke per hole, so it's usually a couple holes a side that I have to worry about a birdie pushing with a par [net birdie], or a par pushing with a bogey [net par].

But, in our group there has been more than one instance of someone winning a skin with a double bogey when everyone else blows up the hole lol.

Played San Juan Hills today. Finally freaking broke 100 there. Very penal course.

Here's the tee for #15. 413 par 4, second toughest hole on the course. Very narrow landing area threading water left and trouble right, on a dogleg where a straight shot with driver will run through the dogleg out of the fairway.

PXL_20230219_204803291.jpg

Played San Juan Hills today. Finally freaking broke 100 there. Very penal course.

Here's the tee for #15. 413 par 4, second toughest hole on the course. Very narrow landing area threading water left and trouble right, on a dogleg where a straight shot with driver will run through the dogleg out of the fairway.

View attachment 813007

No way. That landing area for tee shot - bikini small. Besides the skinny, looks nice.

6" of hard frozen corn snow from last night. Suppose to get close to 0° tonight.

Time to take the private virtual jet to Nantucket to play Miacomet

IMG_20230224_124302.jpg
IMG_20230224_112748.jpg
IMG_20230224_115014.jpg

And this is makes me virtually throw my club into the woods. I took this as my last shot

Last edited:
Ouch!

Bare lie, just short of the water, tough pitch to a green that appears to have no grass upon which there is probably no bite. If you skull the shot, you're wet. If you somehow loft it with spin and it does check up, it'll roll all the way to the lake, given the apparent slope of the green (or is it brown?). If you land it past the flag, you'll be putting downhill and will probably also end up in the water anyway.

Pick it up, card an equitable 8, move on to the next tee and consider yourself richer for not having sacrificed an otherwise serviceable ball. You can thank me later.

Ouch!

Bare lie, just short of the water, tough pitch to a green that appears to have no grass upon which there is probably no bite. If you skull the shot, you're wet. If you somehow loft it with spin and it does check up, it'll roll all the way to the lake, given the apparent slope of the green (or is it brown?). If you land it past the flag, you'll be putting downhill and will probably also end up in the water anyway.

Pick it up, card an equitable 8, move on to the next tee and consider yourself richer for not having sacrificed an otherwise serviceable ball. You can thank me later.
The photo's lack of perspective doesn't show that the ball is on a tee box of the par 3 11th hole. That hole used to be my nemesis, but yesterday, with the pin left, I aimed for the middle, overdrew it, and had a 7 footer for birdie, left the putt on the lip. (I wasn't going to pass up mentioning that.) I've only been in the water there once or twice but routinely miss the green right, bailing out, yea, but also because the other tee, the one we usually use, lines up toward the right. This green holds better than some of the others, maybe because it's in a low spot.

The course, Woodland Hills, is not exactly plush, even in the spring and summer, but really looks rough in the winter. The green are puttable, though, if slightly bumpy. Barring any bad luck, the greens will be smooth and green in a couple of months.

Last edited:
Awesome to have a sim in your house! Though, with cheap courses all over the place down here, and good weather, I don't really need it. Played a round yesterday, I won't tell you what the weather is like down here right now - you probably don't want to hear that.
Oh no. My club has a couple of sim bays up in the attic along with a bar. Sims have gotten cheaper tho. We had a couple of days near 60 and this is the time of the year where I start to get itchy for golf. Was the second time ever using a sim. Takes some getting use to but it's fun

@Kee "the tee lines up" haha. There is a hole at a course I play a lot where that's true. The whole tee box, markers, etc try to make you hit right. It's all the willpower this bad golfer has to defy gravity and hit it into the fairway, regardless of the dumb teebox arrangement.

Oh no. My club has a couple of sim bays up in the attic along with a bar. Sims have gotten cheaper tho. We had a couple of days near 60 and this is the time of the year where I start to get itchy for golf. Was the second time ever using a sim. Takes some getting use to but it's fun

Have you ever tried Top Golf? I haven't, just wondering.

Also, we have a PopStroke near us. Been meaning to check it out.

https://topgolf.com/us/https://popstroke.com/

Have you ever tried Top Golf? I haven't, just wondering.

Also, we have a PopStroke near us. Been meaning to check it out.

https://topgolf.com/us/https://popstroke.com/
Haven't tried either. There are a couple TopGolfs in the area. Some indoors. Some outdoors. There's a bunch of different new simulator places. Mostly incorporating bars. This one is good cause it's close to my house and pretty quiet

Hoping to get my second round of the year (well I did an early too cold too windy 9 holes before that but that doesn't count) in tonight as long as I can get out of work at a decent time.

I've been a long time part time hacker but got a simulator set up recently so I could work on my game during the long cold Iowa winters. Been swinging it pretty well just need to adjust to hitting on real terrain and my distances are always a bit off from simulator to the course. Looking forward to breaking 90 for the first time in the near future (first time out was a 92).

For people like me that don't have a natural rhythm in their backswing, Athletic Motion Golf has the sheet music. If you are in a hurry, start the video at 2:25 and watch about 3 minutes.

Playing with my son today, and actually playing a nicer (and longer) course with him for once.

Anyone getting out for some Father's Day golf this weekend? Either as the father, or the son, or the daughter (not sure if we have any ladies in this thread)?

Only part of it that might be annoying is if the course is slowed down by a bunch of "this is the one round of golf we play all year" people.

Back