Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Play cheap courses? I pay $12 when I play. I had to become a member (~ $80 for winter, also for summer). I quit early and skip holes all the time, no worries. Play at least once a week.
The only courses anywhere around here even close to that are 9-hole pitch and putts. And that's twilight pricing.
The cheapest 18-hole, full length is around $30 here. It's not terrible, but it's not great either.

Played a dew sweeper round this morning at a course I haven't played in an extremely long time. Rough was THICK to where if you were in it and not standing on top of the ball, you weren't finding it.
Ignoring the first 8 holes that were horrendous, played the next 10 in 4 over with a couple of 3 putt bogeys. Likely playing a muni next weekend with my daughter's bf so we'll see how that goes.

At least the beer was cold for breakfast :)

The only courses anywhere around here even close to that are 9-hole pitch and putts. And that's twilight pricing.
The cheapest 18-hole, full length is around $30 here. It's not terrible, but it's not great either.

My club is a dry course, so that might be one reason it's cheap. But it's in great shape, love it. Florida courses can be very reasonable, but the number of courses probably has something to do with it (~1250 courses). That's a course for every 50 square miles, which is a 7x7 mile square. Every 7 miles in ANY direction in FL you'll hit a course, on average. In fact, the course I play regularly is right across the street from a 27-hole course.

Courses here are sparse, there are some reasonable but not great deals. But if I ever win the lottery (although I guess that'd mean I have to buy a ticket) there's a beautiful country club about 12 miles from me that's been rated the second best course in Texas. I played it once, and wondered what the #1 rated course must look like.

But my dentist complains about the greens being small, so there's that.

https://crown-colony.com/scorecard/

Last edited by a moderator:
Play cheap courses? I pay $12 when I play. I had to become a member (~ $80 for winter, also for summer). I quit early and skip holes all the time, no worries. Play at least once a week.
Yeah, unfortunately I don't have this option really unless I play the local hacker course, which I might as well. But it's in pretty cruddy shape compared to the course I normally play. The greens are little domes, there's no landing on the greens and sticking it. You pretty much have to bounce on or bump and run on. But it's a fun little course to go out and hack around. Maybe I'll play there next to get some confidence back. Not before a little mental break though...

Last edited:
at Cyprian Keyes? Nice. |My brother was in town and played there with a couple of his friends the other day.
Said it was beautiful, but a really tough course if your arccuracy isn't spot on.
Very true. I wouldn't say punishing accuracy but by the 16th hole you're starting to get worn down. It has a weird back to back par 5 starting at #2. Still well worth playing. Keep an eye as they do have special every so often and for the price and conditions well worth it.

Not sure where u r but Wachusetts cc is just down the street. Not as good as CK and a little more expensive but more wide open.

Playing here Thursday: Orange County Golf | Rancho Santa Margarita | Tijeras Creek Golf Club

My wife's stepdad (and her mom) is going to be in town. He was the one I played my first round of golf in >5 years with last summer when my wife and I went to visit them in Oregon last summer. It was what rekindled my desire to play this game.

Thought that we could splurge on a nice course for a weekday round lol...

Playing here Thursday: Orange County Golf | Rancho Santa Margarita | Tijeras Creek Golf Club

My wife's stepdad (and her mom) is going to be in town. He was the one I played my first round of golf in >5 years with last summer when my wife and I went to visit them in Oregon last summer. It was what rekindled my desire to play this game.

Thought that we could splurge on a nice course for a weekday round lol...

Looks great! Pricey, but for a one-time play not a big deal. Have fun, enjoy your time with your wife's stepdad. Golf is good bonding time. Those folks disappear abruptly and all you have is that golf memory, so make the most of it.

Not sure where u r but Wachusetts cc is just down the street. Not as good as CK and a little more expensive but more wide open.
I’m in Framingham now, Wachusett would be further. When I actually get a hall pass to play, it’s usually Wayland “CC” or Leo J Martin in Newton. Leo is a state track, pretty inexpensive but nice course, Wayland is a town one. I used to play more, before family, of course. Butternut Farm in Stow, Blissful Meadows in Uxbridge, at one point a go-to for a quick round was Pinecrest in Holliston. These days if I can sneak out for an hour to bash a bucket of balls I’m doing well.

Something wicked this way comes... got out of there just in time. That's FL in the summer - bitchin sunny day, then hell opens up. Then sun.

On the 18th tee (which I par'ed).
1628724801330.png

A few minutes later, at my truck.
1628724827763.png

Something wicked this way comes... got out of there just in time. That's FL in the summer - bitchin sunny day, then hell opens up. Then sun.

On the 18th tee (which I par'ed).
View attachment 738669
A few minutes later, at my truck.
View attachment 738670
Some serious CBs rollin' in there! Be careful out there.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but the Tampa Bay area has more lightning strikes than anywhere else in the U.S. Not something to trifle with.

So the goal on an expensive course is to take as many strokes as dollars you've paid to play there, right?

Because I got kinda close today lol...

109. +37. Oof!

Good thing I play Kirkland golf balls, because I probably lost half a dozen or more.

Way to go. Got your money's worth out of that sucka.

I've always said my game is best suited to seeing more of the course than other people. A few years back I was playing with my Dad in FL. There's a par 3 with a mostly decorative bunker WAY off to the left of the green, I found it with my tee shot. Dad's response "Well, I never expected that to actually be in play, well done."

After my last round I probably need to play those Kirklands, lost quite a few new Callaways. Oxy soaked several bags of "found" balls earlier this week for tomorrow's round. I ended up with 4 1/2 dozen mostly clean and scuff free ProV1, Callaways, Top Flight, and a few no name. Tossed 18 in a bucket for backyard practice that were too far gone for course use. Hopefully that's enough to get through :)

You can't find a weekend rate at a regulation 18 hole around here for under $50, and those are dog tracks. For a nice course, weekend rates are triple digits.

Went to my regular course to play on Monday, but they were closed (greens were getting plugged and sanded). Went to another up the road and played for $11 haha. That one is Lansbrook, which is a decent course but thin fairways, yech.

I often play a round in under 3 hrs at my local course (par 69). I'm not going for a record - in fact, I hit two balls a lot, mulligans, etc, but the evening rounds walking by myself are just quick. I've wondered if there is such a thing as a competition to see who can finish a round fastest.

Well, OF COURSE, it's a thing. This lady can finish 18 holes under par in 50 minutes. Carrying 5 clubs.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/speedg...1oodjkja0gp&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
1629605565480.png

I often play a round in under 3 hrs at my local course (par 69). I'm not going for a record - in fact, I hit two balls a lot, mulligans, etc, but the evening rounds walking by myself are just quick. I've wondered if there is such a thing as a competition to see who can finish a round fastest.

Well, OF COURSE, it's a thing. This lady can finish 18 holes under par in 50 minutes. Carrying 5 clubs.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/speedg...1oodjkja0gp&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
View attachment 739853
I think former Presidents "W" and "Pappy" Bush used to play rapid rounds of 18 regulation holes in something like 2 1/2 hours. It helps if you have Secret Service agents clearing the way and spotting your shanks into the gorse.

Of course none of us likes to be held up by a slow foursome, but neither do I see any enjoyment in racing through a round rather than enjoying the moment. Plus, it's hard to not spill my beer with the cart moving that fast.

I always liked W. Sure, a little derpy, but seemed to have a good conscience.

Anyone wear a hat? I never wear baseball hats, hate the tight fit of them. But midsummer in FL, it's a blast furnace. I wear one of these Aussie Chiller hats. It's pretty great, but mine doesn't have a drawstring and that is necessary in wind. Still, no amount of sweat affects them, and they are very light and well ventilated. Mine has the local course logo monogrammed onto it, Chi Chi!

1629679953349.png

I like to play quick. If I were playing golf alone, on a regulation 18 hole course, without any groups ahead slowing me down, I'd probably finish in just over two hours, even walking it.

Playing in a foursome on an empty course, I'd probably get annoyed with my playing partners if we went much over 3 hours, and definitely if it took more than 3 1/2. And my usual group would assuredly do that--I get annoyed with their slow play even on crowded public courses on SoCal weekends.

We get around in under 4 at our normal par 60 exec course, probably because we're usually out by 8 AM rather than taking a later tee time, but any full regulation course here ends up pushing closer to 4 1/2 even with a morning time.

I don't particularly like hats. Unfortunately, I also don't particularly like sunscreen. Especially on my face, in case it's a hot sweaty day and I end up having a little get into my eye. Stings like hell.

I'd like to find a hat I can tolerate for sun protection, so I can maybe rely on sunscreen only on my neck/etc and not have it on my face.

I've thought about maybe going with the visor look... Because I'm stylish like that.

Played a great round this evening. Started in a slight drizzle, no effect on play except the wet greens were fast.

Had this black coyote checking me out near the 18th tee box. I've seen lots of coyote around here, but never a black one. Didn't know that black ones existed.

[edit] frigging iphone. video reverted to some low-bitrate setting. Cmon, give me max resolution (and max framerate). I'm sure I had it set to 4k before, but now it's low 720. Automatic updates on my devices is killin me.

Last edited:
Thanks to the large Jewish population in my area, I had the day off today for Rosh Hashanah. Upper 70s with not a cloud in the sky, empty course and weekday rates. Had a fantastic time, but struggled to keep the ball in bounds so my score suffered.
Here I was after my best drive of the day, just under 100 yards to the flag. (I ended up hitting a line drive over the green, chipped on and then 2 putted for bogey.)

20210907_110939~2.jpg

Thanks to the large Jewish population in my area, I had the day off today for Rosh Hashanah. Upper 70s with not a cloud in the sky, empty course and weekday rates. Had a fantastic time, but struggled to keep the ball in bounds so my score suffered.
Here I was after my best drive of the day, just under 100 yards to the flag. (I ended up hitting a line drive over the green, chipped on and then 2 putted for bogey.)

View attachment 741656
I wish. I’m sitting in my truck right now waiting for the rain to stop so I can get my round on

F6C9ACC7-991B-4AC9-B633-BC35FFE46548.jpeg

View attachment 741656

Oy, vay! Now you must atone.

Reminds me of the Vicar who called in sick one fine Sunday morning when everyone else in the Parish was at Mass. He said a prayer asking God to grant him a hole-in-one. The Vicar teed up and hit a lofty arcing pin seeker that bounced once and dropped in the cup.

"Thank you, Lord, for finally allowing me to hit this perfect shot."

From on high, a booming voice replied, "You're welcome. But with everyone in Church thinking that you're too sick to preach, WHO ARE YOU GOING TO TELL?"

Well it stopped raining today. Wettest summer I can remember. Good news is things are growing like crazy. We've easily gotten over a foot above average in rain.

Headed west to which is becoming my favorite course. Treehouses new brewery is 20 minutes down the road

IMG_20210910_104550.jpg
IMG_20210910_101011.jpg
IMG_20210910_100659.jpg
IMG_20210910_094110.jpg
IMG_20210910_105028.jpg
IMG_20210910_111822.jpg
IMG_20210910_115144.jpg

Almost tagged a deer with my drive. Here's how close I came to it with the circled tracks
IMG_20210910_115725~2.jpg

Step off the tee box and it's Middle Earth
IMG_20210910_120719.jpg

Well it stopped raining today. Wettest summer I can remember. Good news is things are growing like crazy. We've easily gotten over a foot above average in rain.

Headed west to which is becoming my favorite course. Treehouses new brewery is 20 minutes down the road

View attachment 741968View attachment 741969View attachment 741970View attachment 741971View attachment 741972View attachment 741973View attachment 741974

Almost tagged a deer with my drive. Here's how close I came to it with the circled tracks
View attachment 741975

Step off the tee box and it's Middle EarthView attachment 741976
Played the resort course in Banff, Canada 3 years ago. Beautiful course in a spectacular setting. But....

The elk were just beginning the rut. Did I mention there's lots of wildlife in and around Banff? Anyway, the Marshall on the 1st tee warned against approaching any random elk on the fairways since they (males) can be quite "tense" while competing for female companionship.

The numerous urine filled ruts created a new type of 'hazard', but did allow a free lift, clean and place, as well as a whole new definition to "relief" on the golf course.

Played the resort course in Banff, Canada 3 years ago. Beautiful course in a spectacular setting. But....

The elk were just beginning the rut. Did I mention there's lots of wildlife in and around Banff? Anyway, the Marshall on the 1st tee warned against approaching any random elk on the fairways since they (males) can be quite "tense" while competing for female companionship.

The numerous urine filled ruts created a new type of 'hazard', but did allow a free lift, clean and place, as well as a whole new definition to "relief" on the golf course.

I dunno, I might just play Kirkland and leave the ball as it lies, and drop a clean ball instead. For $1 each, I'll skip reaching into a urine-filled rut.

Latest posts

Back