Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've played since I was about 7 years old. Played a lot years ago when I had a club membership, and was in the high single digits for handicap but was laid off and had to drop the membership. After finding a new job I just didn't have the time to play much. There aren't any "public" courses real close to me now and I don't have many people that I could play with even if there were.

These days, I play a round or 2 when on vacation during our yearly summer trip to Dauphin Island (now that they've reopened the course), and when I'm in Florida visiting my family. Last year's Florida round was me, my dad, my brother, and my uncle. Dad and uncle shoot in the 70's, I won't beat them but did get my brother by 6 strokes so I was happy.

These days, I'm not competing with anyone for anything and just enjoy the rare chance I get to swing a club a few too many times.

Two boys and I hit 18 on a local course this AM. Was overcast, but fine weather. This course (Eagles - Forest) is mostly woods. The Lake course is pretty wet if you like that sort of challenge :) I hit a 110 with one mulligan - that's about my normal.

The kid getting ready to tee off just graduated from Univ of FL yesterday.

upload_2018-5-6_13-46-34.png

upload_2018-5-6_13-49-14.png

Took some clients on a “business trip” this weekend. Went to Lajitas, TX. Damn near Mexico. On #15, you can actually hit balls across the Rio Grande into Mexico. They call it “building the wall, one ball at a time” hahaha it was friggin amazing. Unbelievable course. I’ll post pics later. But in the meantime...

https://www.lajitasgolfresort.com/mobile.aspx

Awesome work. Is that 9 or 18 holes. I know people score that well in scrambles, but it still seems amazing

18. And like I said, we had 4 pars. Could have gone even lower but had some trouble with a few approach shots.

Worth pointing out - this scramble didn’t have any mulligans or shenanigans for sale or anything. This was our gross ball.

So birdie every hole and eagle all 4 par 5s. Wow, thats solid. Thats why i dont play in scrambles. There are teams that just rock these. You had plenty of close competition too. Way to go.

Cool videos passedpawn. Pretty special you get out with the sons. Good thing you are there to keep them from alligator wrestling. Surprised you're not carving up some of those tails for the smoker. Taste like chicken? Congratulations on your sons' graduation and beginning on such a rewarding path.

I have noticed that no one and i mean no one goes into that florida jungle looking stuff. Same in mexico. There are gnomes and goblins in there. I was playing Cozumel Country Club once with this guy, and he was going bathroom pretty close to the forest and he came running backs saying something about that's where the king lives. I went over there and looked and this iguana was larger than a small child. If you hit a ball in that stuff it might as well be water.

When I walk by water I try not to go to Rambo straight-in. I look around and make sure I'm not going to disrupt anything. I make sure not to March around the edge of the lake too quickly looking for my ball too. The gators will sink in after seeing you, but man it doesn't make it any easier to hit a shot with it behind you in the water. One of the worst things to look out for in somewhat tropical environments are the ants. Careful where you stop to pee, and keep an eye around your feet in general especially outside green areas. The more ratty the course, the more likely you're going to run into ant hills.

Got here a little late.
Love golf so much I took a job at a high end golf course.
I am a mid range handicapper bit it keeps me trying.

Oh that looks nice. So jealous, thanks for the pics. Hard not to love that. Did you play any good. Where is that? Looks like utah or mesquite. We have lots like that out here passed. In utah right near where we stayed when I played coral canyon is sand hollow. State park mind you and cheap to play. Look at this drop off. We dont have the ocean out here, but man you could get lost in the beauty non the less.

Had a tip to share. Square impact. I want to bring it up. Think of it like this. If you slap a ballon with an open hand and hit the side, or hit a nail and hit the side, or i usually use and am trying not to a punch. If you hit a nail or ballon on the side with a glancing blow the result will follow. I see it all the time. A glancing open face strike on the golf ball will be weak and a high flair right. Could be a decent slice at best, I guess. This weak hit with a fairly strong effort reaks of an open face hit. Unless you have a paul azinger strong grip, the knuckles of the left hand , palm of the right should not be pointing up. What exactly they should be doing is a little longer story, and swing dependent, but striking the ball with a too open face is bad. I have seen once a guy can square the face up and stripes some pulls, the inside out over the top swing will correct a little. With a square face the body and mind will correct to a better path. Rotating the face a little more square and feeling that open glancing strike might help.

I enjoyed golf until a series of microdiscectomies left me totally gun shy about swinging a club. It's been a couple of decades since my last drive.
I still have a full bag o' mashies, niblicks, cleeks, jiggers, baffies and spoons down in the basement somewhere :D

There's some irony in that I live in a town with 5 legit courses...

Cheers!

Only golf I ever played was in Wii Sports. But I'd be down to play it if I got the chance.

That is just freakin amazing.
It was! Crazy.

@applescrap it is faaaaaaar south Texas. Lajitas to be exact. The tee box on #15 is about 150 yards from Mexico. We hit several balls over the Rio Grande. As the locals say, you have to "building the wall one ball at a time".

https://www.lajitasgolfresort.com/d...MI7dGO7ND52gIVyCOBCh2Wig_aEAAYASAAEgLhQfD_BwE

My scores were very interesting. I honestly figured the course would just beat my ass, so I went out with low expectations. Friday, I shot a 98. I was very happy. Saturday, I was a little more cocky but still shot a 101. Still pretty happy. Sunday, I was pretty hungover and very cocky (or maybe very hungover and pretty cocky) and shot a 107! hahahaha It was a blast though. Scores be damned!!!

Thats right, duh, i got that the first time and thoght it was interesting. that course or one like it has always interested me. I saw it on pbs or something like that. Is a piece of it actually in mexico? I think the one i saw has a teebox "in" mexico. Pretty cool. Hitting balls into the rio grande very cool. I think that river starts near my home town from longs peak. Might as well be colorado or utah, it all is starting to look like desert to me.

Here is sand hollow. I cant wait for green river state park. Camping, golfing, swimming in lakes. Arches, moab. Then palisade state park. That golf course, my sons first 9, is special to me. Cabin with bath i think. Utah state parks have golf courses and while not great, i am happy to walk from the cabin with a few beers in my bag :)

Screenshot_2018-05-08-22-51-19.png

That looks cool!

No part of the course is actually in Mexico, but very close. I will say one other thing about Lajitas (although I could go on and on), it was really not as expensive as I would have thought. I've never been to a golf resort, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. They have a chartered flight that takes you in, so with flight, King rooms, golf, food and (LOT'S OF) booze, it came to less than $2500/person. Not cheap, but not real bad either. If you shared rooms, it would drop the price quite a bit and if you didn't go all out on booze, it would drop it too. I figure for my brother and I to go for a weekend, it would be $1800-2000. And you could always drive in, but that's about a 10 hour drive from Dallas, so there's that.

Two full rounds in one day?

Yup! Teed off at 945. Made it thru 11 and a massive storm came. Headed back to the clubhouse to wait it out and one of my golf buddies started texting me about the round and saying he wishes i would have waitied till later in the day and couldve played. So we went back out to finish and i texted him on 18 and said, “come on. Im up for another”. So he showed up and we teed off at 415. Finished 18 right at dark! Second round was 5 strokes better than the first!

Yup! Teed off at 945. Made it thru 11 and a massive storm came. Headed back to the clubhouse to wait it out and one of my golf buddies started texting me about the round and saying he wishes i would have waitied till later in the day and couldve played. So we went back out to finish and i texted him on 18 and said, “come on. Im up for another”. So he showed up and we teed off at 415. Finished 18 right at dark! Second round was 5 strokes better than the first!

that's pretty hard corps.

You guys have piqued my curiosity. It's been years since this ex-obsessive golfer has played. I'll be in Florida next week, and one thing I have to do is get my clubs out of the house that I am selling. I may have to hit a few balls.

I went on a trip to mesquite in late june. My buddy had it all planned out, everything cheap, you know, because its 127 there everyday. It was so weird going outside at 10pm and its still a 100. Anyways he bailed and hardly made it through 18 in the heat. Me and my 65 yo buddy from kansas, played 36 everyday. It was so weird, they were closing the courses on us. Reminded me of colorado in the winter, where no one plays but us fools. In mesquite they seriously just left and said park the carts around back. After 3 or 4 days i told my buddy i couldnt drink another gatorade. I dont remember being so sick of anything. All of us with wet towells on our heads, pretty funny. Here in colorado its not unheard of to ski and golf in the same day.

Played last week and didnt see the upside of good shots. This week 81, meh. Was getting out close to 300 all day but didnt get it done around greens and some bad untimely mistakes. Happy to be playing though. Saw a huge bull snake and this turtle.
20180527_144259.jpg

It was so weird, they were closing the courses on us. Reminded me of colorado in the winter, where no one plays but us fools. In mesquite they seriously just left and said park the carts around back.

I used to play a course in east Texas that would not open when it was well below freezing. They gave me permission to just go out and play if they weren't there. I'd walk 18 by myself and love it. It was like having my own private course.

Played a late round yesterday after work. Driver was horrid. Shot a 104. Played today. Driver was good. Shot a 100. 45 on the front 9. I was on fire on the front nine. Back 9 was harder and it got really slow. Made for a worse back. Still, not dissappointed with 100 as i shot a 126 last time i played this course, 2 yrs ago. Playing tomorrow at 8 am and then a scramble at 3. God i love golf.

So I finally got around to hitting some range balls yesterday, first time in years. It could have been worse. Yes, I flat-out bladed several iron shots, but I was hitting some solid 5-irons before I left. The driver was easier although included were a few duck hooks. Of course, that was the range. Throw in a few water hazards and things could have been ugly.

Glad everyone is getting out and enjoying it. I took a 10 on a hole in the skins game last Tuesday. I missed, i missed, i missed, i make. Kind of like that. That was Seve Ballesteros famous response for why he four putted.

Glad everyone is getting out and enjoying it. I took a 10 on a hole in the skins game last Tuesday. I missed, i missed, i missed, i make. Kind of like that. That was Seve Ballesteros famous response for why he four putted.

There is another one that goes something like: "How did you make a 10 on that hole"? Answer: "By sinking a 10 foot putt.

Played a late round yesterday after work. Driver was horrid. Shot a 104. Played today. Driver was good. Shot a 100. 45 on the front 9. I was on fire on the front nine. Back 9 was harder and it got really slow. Made for a worse back. Still, not dissappointed with 100 as i shot a 126 last time i played this course, 2 yrs ago. Playing tomorrow at 8 am and then a scramble at 3. God i love golf.

Played this morning and had the worst nine of my life. It was terrible. Nothing went right. Couldnt connect with anything. I pulled it together on the back, but it was still a bad round. I couldnt get the front 9 out of my head and i was in a bad mood the rest of the day. So bad, that i cancelled the afternoon round. God i hate golf.

Lol, heres another, I missed the putt for 9.
On a par 4, if I miss my put for 8, I pick up and put down an 8. If I get too many 8's, I stop keeping score. Unless I'm playing in a league or tournament. I'm not good enough to worry about my "real" scores or handicap. I'm trying to have fun and relax, not get even more frustrated.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
Back