Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super excited. Been busy so havent checked in, but callaway preowned 30 percent off got epic flash driver and epic flash 3 wood. Amazing deal. I couldnt resist got irons. I wanted rogue irons after all my research or epic but they didnt have them, in steel stiff. I am right on the edge. Hope I can flex them. They had the rogue pros which sure are pretty. I have been hitting pro clubs, f that, i want big old offset cavity backs with a thin face. Is what I am thinking, maybe after a few rounds ill ship them back for something else. Dont know, never played callaway. I got steelhead xr irons for 235. 30 more more set sand :).I remember my cavity backs well. Dead feel was biggest complaint, but man miss hits flew. I was always there. Miss hit mine and I have to chip from 50 yards. My 4 iron is the same loft as this st. Xr six. Newer, its designed to pop the ball up. Im pretty stoked. I think the 11 years I have been belting and ripping my driver in rocky mountain winter, summer, mesquite, florida, cancun, etc..has done it in. I am sure of it. Why the heck havent I done something. So all totaled well under 600 for new bag. Well used anyways.

Holy s..t. passed. What? While you were on it? Did you let them by? Thats crazy. Haha, nice one into the swamp. Bounce is everything. My sand wedge has to much bounce. Florida can have tight lies too so get a lower bounce 60. The club slides under the ball on its bounce allowing you to hit fat but still hit shot. Too many of you play all your shots with leading edge, which is why some times they dig. I do the same. Bounce masters never hit fat. Google some bounce videos to make sure you get the right bounce for you.

Holy s..t. passed. What? While you were on it? Did you let them by? Thats crazy. Haha, nice one into the swamp. Bounce is everything. My sand wedge has to much bounce. Florida can have tight lies too so get a lower bounce 60. The club slides under the ball on its bounce allowing you to hit fat but still hit shot. Too many of you play all your shots with leading edge, which is why some times they dig. I do the same. Bounce masters never hit fat. Google some bounce videos to make sure you get the right bounce for you.

I let people through all the time, especially smaller groups that move fast. But after that rudeness on #1, I wasn't feeling generous.

Have you guys seen this clever tshirt? Golf and coronavirus awareness in one.

upload_2020-4-21_11-30-55.png

@applescrap I've been getting those Callaway emails too. Almost pulled the trigger on an Epic Flash with Evenflow blue 65 but decided to back off. The lure of a new to me driver is strong. I still wonder why I traded my old Cleveland XL years ago, best driver I ever had. Or maybe it was all the practice and golfing at that time in my life.

Last year I bought a set of used Steelhead XR irons. Previously I was using X18 from 10 years ago. Lofts are jacked so each club was just about one club lower, all the manufacturers seem to be doing it. Just a mind game imo.

What I noticed most is mis hits still go almost as far as a good hit with my old irons. Ball still goes just as high even with the jacked lofts, i.e. the 5 iron with the loft of my old 4 iron still goes just as high in the air as my old 5 but also farther. A sweet spot hit goes noticeably farther. It's hard to get used to the cup face sound and feel.

I wish I had more to report but just as I was getting used to them my hip got bad enough that I couldn't golf anymore.

Edit: mis hit put together came out as mishit Odd.

Last edited:
Putting and chipping from < 100y is mostly regulation now. There was a period of a couple of months that I changed my putting grip and stance, but that was a mistake.

I've posted my chipper/putter club here before (my kids call it my grandpa chipper, or "gipper"). It lets me one-putt a lot when I'm 10y or less from the green. I'm very accurate with it. I'd say that one club has saved my 5 putts a round. I know a lot of guys are deadly with the pitching wedge, lob, or 8i, but I tend to shank or blade those a lot, but not when I use the gipper.

upload_2019-6-18_11-37-9-png.631756
My father has one of those - he's probably had it for 50 years - it's got a wooden shaft to it!! :eek::eek:
I'll borrow it sometimes when we play together and I'm just off the green. (when we play, we're lucky if one of us is in double digits; we're not worried about every single rule in the book)
It's a great club to use for just that - pop it up a few yards and get it rolling.
When I play alone I'll choke way up on my 4-iron and use it the same way - a putting stroke to get it down and rolling sooner.

Have fun. 72 swings isn’t getting your money’s worth in my opinion :)
LOL. There's an old comic strip - B.C., I think, where they're playing golf, and one of them says, "let me get this straight. The fewer shots you take, the better you're doing?" "yep." the other replies. The first then says, "well then, why do it at all?"

@applescrap I've been getting those Callaway emails too. Almost pulled the trigger on an Epic Flash with Evenflow blue 65 but decided to back off. The lure of a new to me driver is strong. I still wonder why I traded my old Cleveland XL years ago, best driver I ever had. Or maybe it was all the practice and golfing at that time in my life.

Last year I bought a set of used Steelhead XR irons. Previously I was using X18 from 10 years ago. Lofts are jacked so each club was just about one club lower, all the manufacturers seem to be doing it. Just a mind game imo.

What I noticed most is mis hits still go almost as far as a good hit with my old irons. Ball still goes just as high even with the jacked lofts, i.e. the 5 iron with the loft of my old 4 iron still goes just as high in the air as my old 5 but also farther. A sweet spot hit goes noticeably farther. It's hard to get used to the cup face sound and feel.

I wish I had more to report but just as I was getting used to them my hip got bad enough that I couldn't golf anymore.

Edit: mis hit put together came out as mishit Odd.
Thanks man. Dang it, why didn't I ask. I have been more busy working at home! I wanted the rogue but at that price couldnt resist. Glad to hear they fly well, playing on the tips with these youngsters is giving me a lot of 180 plus in. Thanks for the review. Yeah my 4 iron is the same as this new 6. Just hit my 4 then, right? Wrong my muscle back four is like a butter knife and any miss hit goes no where. Can wait for the high balooning flight again. Never liked the way callaway drivers or irons looked, no disrespect meant. The tm drivers just look better. And Iove titleist but I like the after market shafts, a lot and the price. The shaft I got was the tensei blue 65. It was reallly well reviewed and feels awesome.

Honestly since I got my new driver and 3 wood my bamboo shoot has grown, hot women follow me around and its like a bud light commercial. No really though the shaft feels nice and I am so glad to have the matching 3 wood shafts. I have all these shafts in my bag. A pro I took lessons with wanted me to go to a private club maker in town. They tune and fit all shafts the same. He said I had a different shaft in the driver , 3 wood, hybrid, irons, and wedges. Thats 5 different shafts in the bag. Dang. Glad to have a match. The 3 wood epic flash felt better then the driver out of the box and I think will be well worth the 100 I paid. Nothing like having a new club you cant hit because ranges are closed.

I am trying to swing and work every day. Mostly orange whip once or twice a day. I am really working on pitching. It has taken me many years to put this together but I think I am getting close. My faults I think lie in not committing to two separate techniques. One where the ball is back more, weight left, firm left wrist through impact, putt like feel, less wrist, leading edge, and another where the bounce slides along the turf, more forgiving, more wrist, open face, weaker grip, club not forward pressed at start up. I need to get the mat and net back up. Or the sheet, it worked well. Those cheap nets wear fairly quick. But yeah, I want to spend this time honing my short game.

Abfu!

So you were right Bruce love the steelhead xr. They have a flair for the big miss and are not a pro club but wow how fun. Super fun, haha. After hitting those titleist for years these were a welcome change. Where to start.

No ranges open so away I went. Shot 35 on the back btw. Haha its those big cups you just have to touch. We are all putting better I think. So first hole instead of hitting my spin milled 52 degree vokey I hit a soft p wedge from xr set. That bulbous bottom edge slid through like butter. The blade wedge you pure it or its garbage. But the wedge was sweet flew off hot and straight. The faces are hot. And the offset I think is for straighteness. I was looking at my 755s and the xr and noticed any little hand movement changed the titleist blade and the callaway steelhead xr had a little wiggle room it seemed. So they do fly much straighter. Man a little miss with the muscle back and its going that way.
Miss hits fly really well. I bladed one and it went pin high, heck I would have been chipping from 40 yards. Had a few weird misses that concern me, shots that I wouldnt usually hit. But man I had no problem hitting the 9 iron 150 which could be a 9 8 or 7 in the titelist really. This was also a problem with wind. Harder to hit a more controled shot. The set sand wedge wasnt great for me from 100 but from pitching and inside 100 was super easy to hit and fun compared to my blade wedge vokey. This changed my scores a lot. Pitching with it and the wedge was much easier.

The 3 wood was as awesome as it felt. Didnt hit it much but it hits well and is hot. Like this club makes me want a hybrid. The driver I didnt hit well. Driving is what I do best so I was shocked. I hit a few low burners and one off the course. So havent decided there yet it sounds clanky, maybe I got a cracked one? Ill see. I think good hits may be longer but they dont seem to spin, only rise and fall. So maybe I was hitting a little to down, and caught is coming down, not sure. But interestingly it hits straight it seems. If the face is anywhere near the fairway when it hits boom there it goes that way, straight. I really recall this. Ill see next round. Sorry for another long post.

@applescrap I am a little wary of the preowned drivers. I will only get the like new (usually returned floor models imo) or outlet. I always think there might of been a problem with a driver someone traded in less than a season.

But it's just how I think about most things, skeptically. Nice thing about the Callaway pre-owned is you have a time frame to send it back if it doesn't work out for you.

I've heard good and bad about the Rouge, they are finally coming down enough to consider but my reality is that I have a driver with a few different shafts that does the job. It's not the longest driver I've ever had but as long as I do my part it works. Sometimes the weights or shaft loosen and need to be retorqued. I also have a 19 degree Cleveland hybrid that works very well off the tee for times the driver is in time out.

However, seeing this thread will have me browsing the pre-owned site again.

And I just ordered a 9 degree Rouge with a 6.0 Project X Evenflow Blue shaft cut down 2 inches with 3 wraps on a stock grip.

Hope they swingweight it this time. Last time they cut the shaft, reinstalled the stock original grip and did nothing with correcting the swing weight. I have a swing weight scale, heavy metal powder, corks, and the tools to do it with but would rather that the factory do what was paid for.

Didn't complain last time, just fixed it and played golf.

Anyway, new to me driver coming. Golf courses opening on Tuesday along with driving ranges. Looking forward to getting out and hitting balls.

Haha, sweet! They were pretty affordable its hard to pass up. Yeah I wonder about this driver. Cut 2 in with stiff shaft. Wow, does the weight help you flex it? I could have lived with regular, that whip adds power it seems. But also less consistency. Trade one for the other.

PXG is having a sale. Especially for lefties. Never hit one but I've played with a guy that plays them. He's a good player and I was awed just by the sound. His distance was out there too. I played Titleist vokeys since the beginning of time but recently have been having problems finding lefties. So I bought two with lower loft than what I'm use too but I'm just curious to hit them . I've got a bagful of gift tournament wedges anyways. That's how Im rationilizing it

Last edited:
Haha, sweet! They were pretty affordable its hard to pass up. Yeah I wonder about this driver. Cut 2 in with stiff shaft. Wow, does the weight help you flex it? I could have lived with regular, that whip adds power it seems. But also less consistency. Trade one for the other.

Shorter shaft helps me make solid contact. I don't know what I'll get with the shaft, it seems to vary when it comes to stock shafts. I wanted lower torque which is found in the stiff shaft. I've never been able to make a higher torque shaft work for me, I'm too unsmooth on the downswing. The kickpoint is listed as mid. I'm hoping it's just a relabled ProLaunch Blue. We shall see.

What I'd really like to see is all manufacturers come to a definable standard when it comes to shaft ratings.

Boys and I hit this afternoon. We play for $10 on our fave course all summer long, with carts etc. ($10 after 3, $18 before). I have their $89 membership card. Also get employee pricing on stuff in the pro shop, discounted food, half price balls at the range, etc. I am going to be playing a LOT.

1588726445903.png

This will be interesting. Mass is still having high rates of deaths as far as I'm concerned. Majority in old folks home and a large part of the minority with pre existing conditions. They
are testing a large number of patients tho. Almost at research level.

There has been good debate on whether we should open. However, lately it's been heating up with people weighing in that know nothing about how golf is played or how the surrounding states are limiting contact along with no cart. I have no problem with it still being closed as it's just barely gotten above freezing last month

I got one round in with no interaction with humans before we went into stay at home orders. Paid online and walked straight to the first tee. Was probably the last person to leave including the help as the sun was setting. It was beautiful and odd at the same time.

Now a course thats kind of has a reputation is making it very public that it's going against the governors orders to stay closed. There has been rumors that we will have a date to open next week. This isn't going to help and I guarantee no one is going to finish 18.

It's also interesting that the courses that I play and have driven by have numerous joggers and dog walkers crowding the course. I'm sure it's the same people complaining that the courses should stay closed.

This will be on the news
Screenshot_20200506-202854.png

Avoided the hordes and played 18 late on the day.

This course had a dusting of snow yesterday. Weather pattern is finally breaking. Unusual jet stream directly from the artic has been making it colder here than Alaska.

Strong steady 20mph winds on a placement course. Good to get some fresh air. The tempting thing is my fav bar is serving growlers of Hill Farmstead just down the road with the new restaurant law changes
IMG_20200510_180354.jpg
IMG_20200510_180136.jpg
IMG_20200510_175215.jpg
IMG_20200510_171534.jpg

Avoided the hordes and played 18 late on the day.

This course had a dusting of snow yesterday. Weather pattern is finally breaking. Unusual jet stream directly from the artic has been making it colder here than Alaska.

Strong steady 20mph winds on a placement course. Good to get some fresh air. The tempting thing is my fav bar is serving growlers of Hill Farmstead just down the road with the new restaurant law changesView attachment 679794View attachment 679795View attachment 679796View attachment 679797

The whole course to yourself. What a grand day!

This will be interesting. Mass is still having high rates of deaths as far as I'm concerned. Majority in old folks home and a large part of the minority with pre existing conditions. They
are testing a large number of patients tho. Almost at research level.

There has been good debate on whether we should open. However, lately it's been heating up with people weighing in that know nothing about how golf is played or how the surrounding states are limiting contact along with no cart. I have no problem with it still being closed as it's just barely gotten above freezing last month

I got one round in with no interaction with humans before we went into stay at home orders. Paid online and walked straight to the first tee. Was probably the last person to leave including the help as the sun was setting. It was beautiful and odd at the same time.

Now a course thats kind of has a reputation is making it very public that it's going against the governors orders to stay closed. There has been rumors that we will have a date to open next week. This isn't going to help and I guarantee no one is going to finish 18.

It's also interesting that the courses that I play and have driven by have numerous joggers and dog walkers crowding the course. I'm sure it's the same people complaining that the courses should stay closed.

This will be on the newsView attachment 679167

I played that course a few years back and really enjoyed it.

We had a course nearby with a GM who was very vocal about his opinion that golf should not have been closed. He finally announced that they were reopening in a few days. Our governor ended up reopening courses the next day anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Got my preowned Rouge driver yesterday. Went to hit balls for the first time with the new hip. First time hitting anything but chips and pitches in the backyard since the hip went bad last June.

I was surprised. Didn't get stuck in the downswing, hip worked just fine. I only hit about 2/3 power shots, irons had an unintended slight draw. I probably forgot my bad habits for awhile, lol.

I ordered the Rouge with a 43.5" (-2") shaft. Sure enough they didn't swingweight it. On my scale it came out as C3. I decided to try it anyway. Didn't work well. Swapped for a 43.5" Speeder shaft in my other driver and all was well. Not going full distance at 2/3 power but was straight with a decent ball flight. I set it for 11 degrees with a neutral bias.

I'll take the grip off the Evenflow Blue shaft that came with the Rouge and add tungsten powder to get it to a D0 and retry.

I should of kept the stock length, seen if I could make a 45.5" shaft work and if not then cut it myself instead of paying Callaway to not do the whole job.

Driver shafts just keep getting longer, the balls go a little farther but for me it's harder to hit a decent shot once they get too long.

Went to a course today. Debated playing the big course but settled on the 9 hole par 3 that the big course front 9 goes around.

Ended up 11 over for 9 holes, 17 putts, only held one of the postage stamp sized greens. I'm happy with it considering I haven't played since last June and the 2/3 power swings threw distances off.

Really looking forward to getting out and doing 18. It was pretty deserted out there today.

Howdy. Long time no check in. Luckily for us, here in Texas, very few courses closed. I'm still able to play at my club regularly. The biggest draw back I have found is that Club Corp stopped all playing at non-member courses during this. So my membership is in Houston, but I live in Dallas. Normally when I come home, I play a Club Corp course. So if I want to play while home, I have to pay. I'm heading back to Houston Sunday. I'll be playing a lot over the next 2 weeks. Longer days means at least 9 holes after work on most days.

Howdy. Long time no check in. Luckily for us, here in Texas, very few courses closed. I'm still able to play at my club regularly. The biggest draw back I have found is that Club Corp stopped all playing at non-member courses during this. So my membership is in Houston, but I live in Dallas. Normally when I come home, I play a Club Corp course. So if I want to play while home, I have to pay. I'm heading back to Houston Sunday. I'll be playing a lot over the next 2 weeks. Longer days means at least 9 holes after work on most days.

I dont know your situation but I enjoyed Club Corp from my home course with a small fee. However, my club just went into bankruptcy. They blame covid but it was going down the drain for years. Quite the drama. I use to be a part of Boxgroove before I joined a private club. The price was really cheap but the tee times were very restrictive. Their model has changed and it looks like they're networking with ClubCorp. It also seems their fees have gone up quite a bit. It may be an option.

I dont know your situation but I enjoyed Club Corp from my home course with a small fee. However, my club just went into bankruptcy. They blame covid but it was going down the drain for years. Quite the drama. I use to be a part of Boxgroove before I joined a private club. The price was really cheap but the tee times were very restrictive. Their model has changed and it looks like they're networking with ClubCorp. It also seems their fees have gone up quite a bit. It may be an option.
That is the same way my non-home course work. But due to COVID, they are restricting all non-hime course play. Across all of Club Corp. They say it so the tee times can be reserved for home course members. It will pass eventually. I’ll live.

Managed 18 holes from the silver tees today. Might as well hit silver since I can't put full power on the swings anyway.

What a great day to be out. Sunny, 71 degrees and I hit some pretty good shots all things considered. Not really ready for 18 holes on the new hip yet, wheels fell off the bus on #13. Oh well, didn't matter because I was so happy to be outside in the sunshine with friends. It's been a long time.

Watching "The Match", and Manning's and Brady's struggles are making me feel pretty good about my old game ;)

I just tuned in, Brady has hit 3 times since I've been watching and he's not been happy with anything. I have a feeling this isn't going 18 holes.

Tiger just gave Manning a good read on a putt, I wonder how many strokes I'd save with a pro green reader? Lol.

Latest posts

Back