lost some must to overzealous aeration in a gallon jug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootsyFlanootsy

Reaction score
I usually start small batch mead in 5 gallon buckets to ease both SNA's and and aeration. it's been a while since I made one and well... I frigged up. it was stupid, I admit. anyway, at my first NA all was fine, foamed a little at first when the DAP hit the must, but then when I went to stir the whole batch took off like gangbusters. must've lost a good 16oz's or so. so consider this a warning to anyone new to small batch, don't primary in one gallon jugs if you're going to follow a SNA program. bearing all that in mind, does anyone have any potential remedies for my dilemma? add some more water/honey?

I do primary in one gallon jugs and SNA. The trick is to make sure you have degassed before you add the nutrients.

I do primary in one gallon jugs and SNA. The trick is to make sure you have degassed before you add the nutrients.
And there's also the trick of making up, say, a gallon of must, but then removing 25% of it to allow for foaming and expansion. Once the last aeration and SNA have been done successfully, let the reserved must come up to room temp (it should have been kept in the fridge) before adding it to top up.

That generally works fine - as does starting fruit batches in either fermenter jugs/carboys much bigger than the batch size or in buckets......

You could also start your primary in a bucket rather than a jug, like with a wine kit, then rack into your jugs once the initial fermentation is complete.

yeah, like I said, i normally do primary in a bucket. i made a tactical error in judgement is all.
thanks for the tip re: reserving some must.

I'll probably just calculate what was lost, ( since it's already lost in this case), and top off towards the end of primary.

Back