Lost Power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelven34

Reaction score
I am twenty minutes into a 45 minute boil and my electricity just cut out. I'm brewing an extract kit. I'm thinking wait for a little while the bittering hops continue to do...well...I don't really know what they'll be doing at this point...then add the final hops that were 2-5 minutes. Chill the wort, and move on. Since it's partial boil, I don't really see an issue with the less boil time other than hops utilization.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Well,hop utilization will def be off,since there's no heat to continue the boil at the right temps to do so. I'd wait till the power comes back on to continue.
After the bittering addition you already did.

Do you have any other sources of heat? Outdoor propane burner or maybe even a charcoal grill? Anything just to keep the temp up, once you had it to a boil it won't take much to keep it up at boiling temps

I have a charcoal grill, but I don't really have time to light it and get it going hot enough to then utilize it. We'll see how it goes...

Back