lost in primary!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzmodelman

Reaction score
so i got really busy sometime this summer, and forgot a 5-gallon batch in primary. it's a reasonably-hopped, partial mash, medium IPA that started at 1.056 OG and went onto a yeast cake from my previous IPA batch. fermentation was strong for a week and then slowly stopped, just like normal.

it looks and smells fine, but am i deluding myself to think it will be fine to carbonate & drink? or should i just toss it and move on?

Do it! What can it hurt? I would think as long as your air lock kept the vessel sealed, it should be an interesting experience. Hop flavors may have diminished, but still beer. Not sure if the yeast will still be viable but you never know. At the least bottle some of it before you pour it out. Personally I would bottle/keg it all and have a great story to tell.

so i got really busy sometime this summer, and forgot a 5-gallon batch in primary. it's a reasonably-hopped, partial mash, medium IPA that started at 1.056 OG and went onto a yeast cake from my previous IPA batch. fermentation was strong for a week and then slowly stopped, just like normal.

it looks and smells fine, but am i deluding myself to think it will be fine to carbonate & drink? or should i just toss it and move on?

Oh the humanity! Taste it. Do it, do it, DO IT! I bet it is the finest IPA you've brewed.

It will probably be outstanding. If I were bottling it I would probably toss in a small half pack of proofed dry yeast at bottling just to make sure it carbed up well. Probably not necessary but kind of insurance.

It smells okay, and looks good. Why not bottle?

Now if it stinks or smells of vinegar, or has stringy stuff in it that's different...

Thanks y'all for the encouragement. i'll keg it up tomorrow, charge it rightly, and report back on flavor profiles next week.

Back