Lost Abbey Avant Garde Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoel

Reaction score
I've been looking to make a clone of this brew. I couldn't find anything on the forum but found some blog stuff here and a follow-up post here.

Based off this I've come up with a PM recipe. I love the bready, yeasty flavors of this brew with a great mouthfeel. I plan on harvesting the yeast from the brew itself. I need help on a couple of things though. I'm worried about the attenuation on the yeast. I guess if the yeast can do it, it will happen but Lost Abbey's site says OG to FG is 60-7. Also I'd like some feedback on the toasting. They custom toast their grains in the pizza ovens at Pizza Port. I plan on roasting the grain on a pizza stone in my oven at 400 for 25 min. Any suggestions would be appreciated especially if someone has attempted this before...

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Lost Abbey Avant Garde
Brewer: Joel
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Biere de Garde
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 4.65 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 13.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
3.80 lb       Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)         Dry Extract  38.78 %       
5.00 lb       Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        51.02 %       
0.75 lb       Pale Malt (2 Row) US Toasted (150.0 SRM)  Grain        7.65 %        
0.25 lb       Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                     Grain        2.55 %        
0.60 oz       Brewer's Gold [7.60 %]  (60 min)          Hops         11.9 IBU      
0.15 oz       Strisslespalt [4.00 %]  (15 min)          Hops         0.8 IBU       
0.15 oz       Saaz [4.00 %]  (15 min)                   Hops         0.8 IBU       
0.15 oz       Spalter [4.50 %]  (15 min)                Hops         0.9 IBU       
1 Pkgs        Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206)        Yeast-Lager                

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
75 min        Mash In            Add 2.28 gal of water at 161.0 F    150.0 F       
10 min        Sparge             Add 2.28 gal of water at 193.0 F    170.0 F       

Notes:
------

Custom toast the grain at 400 for 25 min on a pizza stone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, that helps a lot. At this point I think I'm going to email Tommie Arthur (the brewmaster) and ask for his advice. I do have to wait for my balls to grow a bit though...

You know I actually never brewed this. I was hoping to get some feedback from Lost Abbey about the recipe. I emailed about 4 times and didn't get anything. OldSock said he had the same type of experience. While I was waiting to hear back I kept brewing other stuff and this recipe never made it into my queue.

I'll have to work it into the pipeline again. If you're interested, brew it and let me know how it turns out!

I don't think Lost Abbey is too good with home brewers. I have several breweries that I have look at my recipes and many are absolutely fabulous. I also have tried Lost Abbey to no avail. I generally stop buying the beers of the guys who wont help me in favor of the ones who do...however; Lost Abbey's stuff is so good that I cant stop buying it. I have a 750 of Judgement Day to drink tonight.

Back