Loss of activity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteChef

Reaction score
Brewed a Nukey Brown clone from Northern on Fri and had great activity in airlock and visible moving suspended yeast for two days but on Monday that was long gone. No krausen or anything. Check the airlock and it was loose. So I'm thinking great, maybe that is the culprit. So I tightened it down. And now I've been at work all night, my question is...... Would that be the problem and if so I should be out of the woods rt?

Hello ociffer. (hiccup)I'm home. Can you take me drunk?

I wish. He could of brought the "hunnies". Not really. Hope so I've had a couple vigorously for a week or so.

Beer!

I wouldn't be too worried about the air lock being loose. I'd be surprised if something got in there that would stop fermentation all together. Wait a few days and take a gravity reading. I brewed a Christmas Milk Stout two Saturdays ago with an O.G. of 1.076. By the following Monday, the krausen had fallen, the airlock was bubbling only once or twice per minute, and the gravity had fallen to 1.024. It's going to be sitting in the primary for a couple more weeks, so the gravity will continue to drop, albeit slowly.

No worries!

Yup. Love those hunnies...hale to the king,baby! But as was mentioned,after initial fermentation is over,it slows down to a crawl down to a stable FG.

I wouldn't be too worried about the air lock being loose. I'd be surprised if something got in there that would stop fermentation all together. Wait a few days and take a gravity reading. I brewed a Christmas Milk Stout two Saturdays ago with an O.G. of 1.076.

Christmas Milk Stout? Sounds intriguing. What did you do to make it Christmasy? This is my favorite craft beer time of the year, and we're brewing as much holiday stuff as we can.

Back