Los Angeles / Santa Maria

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonutBrew

Reaction score
Hey all-- I'm going to be out in LA and Santa Maria, CA next week, and I wanted to see what you guys can recommend to me as can't-miss brewpubs, breweries, etc in the area. In LA, I'll be in the Westwood area most of the time, and I won't have much time to venture out into the city too much. But, if it's can't-miss, then perhaps I can make an exception.

Thanks for the advice!

While in Santa Maria, I'd suggest checking out Firestone Walker's brewpub, it's close by there.

This.
They also have a taproom in Buellton if you can't make it up to Paso Robles for the brewery.

If you can make it to Orange County while in LA, The Bruery is pretty kickass

Assuming you have access to either a car or the Santa Monica Blue Bus, hit up Father's Office. Not a brewpub, but it has fantastic beers and great food.

Avoid Westwood Brewing Company unless your goal is to meet some coeds. The brews ain't great, but the sights sure are.

If you have access to a car (and I hope you do - it is LA after all!) - a new (at least to me) place that I was told about is wurstkulche. http://www.wurstkucherestaurant.com/ A belgian place with alot of intersting things on tap and perhaps even more intersting sausages. Another place not too far from Westwood is the Surley Goat in west hollywood. I second the Father's office and the blue palms recomendation. King's head in Santa Monica isn't too bad either.

Up in Santa Maria now. Soes snyone know a good beer store, preferably one that sells Pliny the Elder? Dont want to go home without some beer souveniers!

Back