Loose tea mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shakedown Shaman

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if someone can please let me know whether or not if some of the tea bags broke open starting a new batch of Kombucha the loose tea will mold? Thanks

I make thousands of liters of kombucha. Tea finings always make their way through the process. Sometimes whole leaves remain until final filtrations.

It’s cool. No worries.

I throw my pellicles away so there’s no bits of tea remaining from batch to batch.

it's important to note that mold can develop on tea leaves if they are exposed to excessive moisture or stored improperly. To prevent mold growth, ensure that your tea is stored in a dry and airtight container.

I use loose tea exclusively since it's easier to use when doing large batches. It doesn't particularly change mold risk but I do strain it all out. Tea itself is covered in mold spores and hot steeping is a huge help on reducing risks, as is getting the brewed tea into your cultures right away.

Back