Loose air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eojnnamleppak

Reaction score
I've got an extract batch of hefeweizen on day 5 of primary fermentation. I saw it bubbling on day two, haven't noticed much since then. I did just notice that my airlock wasn't in the bucket real snug, it pulled out pretty easily. Here's what the beer looks like on day 5. Any direction on this one? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392948150.002941.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392948230.081287.jpg

Focker Out

My bet is that your fermentation is nearly complete. What was your OG and what is the SG now? If you're at or near target, that will give you an indication of what's going on. Let it sit another week or two and bottle it.

Thanks, I'll check the SG now and see what it says...first batch of hefe I've done...weird that there are no grains. I'm still learning it all

Focker Out

My bet is that your fermentation is nearly complete. What was your OG and what is the SG now? If you're at or near target, that will give you an indication of what's going on. Let it sit another week or two and bottle it.

You'd rack this into your secondary first, no? Then you'd let it sit for a week or two before bottling?

I'd say watch your airlock over the next day or two and if you'd don't see any activity, then it's time to rack. But just because you can't see the krausen bubbling doesn't mean it's finished fermenting.

You'd rack this into your secondary first, no? Then you'd let it sit for a week or two before bottling?

I'd say watch your airlock over the next day or two and if you'd don't see any activity, then it's time to rack. But just because you can't see the krausen bubbling doesn't mean it's finished fermenting.

Skip the secondary. Let it sit about 3 weeks to let the yeast do it's thing and the trub to settle out. Then RACK but to the bottling bucket.

Oh yea....just push the airlock back in a little tighter. No sweat.

The airlock is simply a way to let excess CO2 out without letting fruit flies in. It may or may not bubble. Heck, on one of my fermenters it never bubbles but it still makes beer. I've even gone so far as drilling a small hole in a solid lid, placing a small piece of Saran Wrap over it and hole the Saran Wrap in place with duct tape. It still makes beer.

Latest posts

Back