looooong fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Home Brewers,

I have some questions about an unusually long fermentation I've got going.
The recipe is a strong Scotch Ale. Liquid Malt Extract base, Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast, O.G. 1.080.

It has been in the fermentor since November 26th (3 weeks now). Strong fermentation was under way in less than 24 hours with a beautiful krausen. Now, the krausen is gone, but the airlock still bubbles every two minutes or so.
I read in another thread that you can get "gassing off" from residual yeast activity, which is not fermentation per se, but the thread did not address whether "gassing off" was only bubbles on the surface of the beer or whether it could actually produce bubbling through the airlock.

I have not yet taken a gravity reading because I'm paranoid about opening the fermentor unnecessarily.

Here are the questions.

1. Is it best to proceed on the basis of a gravity reading alone or should I wait until all bubbling stops?

2. Conventional wisdom these days seems to indicate that leaving the beer in the primary for a little while is good because it allows the yeasties to "clean up after themselves." But is there a limit? Let's say my Scotch ale takes a full four weeks to ferment out, do I let it settle for another week (as I would do without concern with a faster-fermenting batch)? Any misgivings about leaving it on the yeast that long? Or should I just relax, not worry, and have a homebrew?

Stronger beers need more time to condition, especially when the initial fermentation temps were on the higher side. Therefore some form of fermentation temperature control would be preferred to reduce the amount of unwanted byproducts created during the first stage.

3 weeks for fermentation to complete is very average, and the stronger the beer the longer it takes to finish, even 4-6 weeks are fine. Start on the low side of the yeasts temp range during the first few days to a week, then slowly raise the temps over the next few weeks.

You didn't mention what kind of fermentor you're using. You're absolutely right not to open the fermentor unnecessarily! If it's a bucket you can snake a 1/4" OD hose down the grommet hole after removing the airlock, and "suck" some beer out for a gravity and taste test. That disturbs the headspace the least. Good sanitation practices are paramount, of course!

It is not unusual, that there are bubbles in airlock every ~25 seconds after fermentation is done. I have also noticed, that 1-3 days are most active, after that airlock slows down and after 7th day or so airlock can be more active again, although ambient temperature is quite stable.
But sometimes the airlock just stops totally after the fermention is done.

Stronger beers need more time to condition, especially when the initial fermentation temps were on the higher side. Therefore some form of fermentation temperature control would be preferred to reduce the amount of unwanted byproducts created during the first stage.

3 weeks for fermentation to complete is very average, and the stronger the beer the longer it takes to finish, even 4-6 weeks are fine. Start on the low side of the yeasts temp range during the first few days to a week, then slowly raise the temps over the next few weeks.

You didn't mention what kind of fermentor you're using. You're absolutely right not to open the fermentor unnecessarily! If it's a bucket you can snake a 1/4" OD hose down the grommet hole after removing the airlock, and "suck" some beer out for a gravity and taste test. That disturbs the headspace the least. Good sanitation practices are paramount, of course!
Thanks Lizard.

I'm using a 7 gallon glass carboy for this one. My fermentation takes place in a downstairs walk-in closet which has no temp control other than if I put a space heater in it. The temp on my "fermometer" has been pretty steady btw 60-62°F

I guess I'm just used to things wrapping up in two weeks or less, but I also know that a slow, cool fermentation is suposed to be good for this kind of brew. So I will say we're right on track.

If it makes you feel any better I pitched Zurich Lager yeast on a 1.055 beer and it's been fermenting for about 6 weeks now. It never went fast but when I thought it was finished I pushed the CO2 out to check and more came through the next morning. I'd say brew up a second or third batch while you wait then pitch something on the yeast cake.

I am brewing a saison (currently at 14 days in primary) and planning to add hibiscus tea and an ounce of Nelson sauv hops once I hit my FG. Would I be okay doing all of this in my primary bucket or would it be better to do a secondary? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back