Looks like white paint ....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfinnegan

Reaction score
So there it is in my secondary floating on top. After 15 or so years of brewing I have never seen this. So you all know, this is a peanut butter Stout and I added 4oz of peanut butter flavoring.
I have never done this, so maybe that's all it is.
Take a look at this picture and let me know what you think. Literally looks like white paint floating. Infection? Normal occurance with flavoring ?

IMG_9630.jpg

So there it is in my secondary floating on top. After 15 or so years of brewing I have never seen this. just S o you all know, this is a peanut butter Stout and I added 4oz of peanut butter flavoring when inracked to the secondary.
I have never done this before, so maybe this is normal, but I don't think so.
Take a look at this picture and let me know what you think. Literally looks like white paint floating.... Infection? Normal occurance with flavoring ?
Sorry the pic is upside down

IMG_9630.jpg

I didn't take the air lock off and give it a smell... maybe I'll do that. Thanks

Congealed peanut oil?

I don't see any "rays" - lines of infectious critters radiating from colonies.
That's a hopeful sign...

Cheers!

I had this in a peach wine earlier this month... I still don't know what it is, but dowsing it with campden broke it up and then transferring it off and it hasn't come back yet.

So if no colonies or chains or spurs coming off, its probably just congealed penut oil... sounds about right.
It looks like white oil floating on a Black Sea of beer.

So the only thing my smeller picks up is peanut buttery goodness. I can now see a haze across the top and little groups of tiny bubbles. And of course the "white paint slicks" are still hanging around. Probably nothing to worry about.

And yes, my beer is upside down!!

Latest posts

Back