Looks like the beer separated...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizoneill

B33R IS G00D
Reaction score
Anyone see this before? I put the beer into the fridge to clear it up and now it looks like its separating...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390105565.895179.jpg

Huh. That's an odd one. Normally yeast in suspension will make the beer look a little lighter than it actually is, and it'll appear darker as they flocculate. I have no idea what's going on here. What were your ingredients? what was your process?

Actually, it looks like your blow off tube, has sucked a bunch of star san into your fermenter. Next time, exchange the blow off tube, for a regular airlock, before cold crashing. Suck back, happens when the temp changes drastically.

Actually, it looks like your blow off tube, has sucked a bunch of star san into your fermenter. Next time, exchange the blow off tube, for a regular airlock, before cold crashing. Suck back, happens when the temp changes drastically.

This might just be it. Although it'd have to be quite a lot of sanitizer to do that.

Yep looks like suck back, see where the krausen ring is well below the liquid level? Been there once myself before I learned not to cold crash with a blow off attached. Tried to save that batch siphoning off but ended up dumping it.

See..... That's why I come hang out here a few times a day! This is a great place to learn things before they happen to you! Thanks for sharing that OP!:mug:

Ha ha I'm pretty sure that doesn't make the OP feel better.

Maybe try siphoning the clear layer off the top. Just keep the siphon high and siphon like 3-4 inches off the top. Good luck

If you do happen to mix it in don't worry--I stupidly mixed I'm about that much a couple batches ago and the beer tastes the same as the same recipe previously. There is actually a video out there of some guy drinking that stuff.

If you do happen to mix it in don't worry--I stupidly mixed I'm about that much a couple batches ago and the beer tastes the same as the same recipe previously. There is actually a video out there of some guy drinking that stuff.

A bubbler or 2 full of Starsan maybe, but that's a relatively big amount for what looks like a 3/4 gallon batch. I'd try to Siphon it off as well as the 1-2 inches of mix below.

I had almost a quart sucked up in a 5 gallon batch of Caramel Amber last time and although I couldn't particularly taste it, I kept looking for noticeable traces and each time it made me feel a bit uneasy. Glad when that keg kicked 3 weeks later. And yes, the beer tasted great! If anything, maybe a little thinner, with a tiny, tiny hint of metallic, but that could've been just my imagination. I have tasted Starsan and it has an astringeness and a metallic aftertaste.

That guy is the president of Starsan, IIRC. While he can, he stands behind his company's products. ;)

Hmmmm I was really thinking about just pouring it out but I may try again it was mixing up too much for me but well see... I'll try again It's still in the fridge so why not?!

Hmmmm I was really thinking about just pouring it out but I may try again it was mixing up too much for me but well see... I'll try again It's still in the fridge so why not?!

That was what I found trying to rack off the top back when this happened to me - I have an auto siphon and couldn't really get the siphon going up that high. You might have better luck trying to rack it from below.

I estimated about a quart got into a 2.5 gal batch. So I guess about twice as much proportionally as Lizard had, but the description of metallic seems right and with a funny aftertaste. I kegged it anyway but ended up dumping it.

Well Looks like I was able to get most of the beer from the middle and leave behind the starsan hope it worked! well see after the beer carbonates...
HDo2mpO.jpg

Nice work.. Let us know how it turns out

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

It's not tasting bad... Tastes pretty good... So happy I save it! Thanks for all the help people!

Latest posts

Back