Looking to make a hoppy red....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxknuckle

Reaction score
Hi, Im looking to make a hoppy red ale that would be similar to Laurelwoods Free Range Red. I looked on their website and found that they use 2 row, crystal and cascade hops. The O.G. is .057 and its 60 IBU's

Here is what Ive come up with....
6 gallon batch
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.00 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 16.00 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Centennial [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 45.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [11.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

I think my main concerns are the specialty malts... not sure what to use and how much. Should I add carapils or will the crystal be ok?

Any suggestions will be appreciated,
thanks in advance!!
Kevin:tank:

Kevin, are you relying on the crystal giving you the red color? I use a small amount of roasted barley that I add to the mashtun after the mash, to get color but not flavor when I mashout/sparge. This technique gives a nice red hue.

Also, 2lbs of crystal is going to give you a sweet beer - which may be what you are looking for, I don't know. The times I've experimented with that level of crystal malts, I've concluded that it was too much and have adjusted future batches down.

Back