Looking to go AG, confused about a few terms.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyth

Reaction score
So I'm starting to get some gear together to make the jump to AG, doing a lot of reading on the subject, but there's a few concepts that seem a bit wonky to me.

For example, mash-out. I can't find a good explanation for what this means anywhere. Sometimes it seems to refer to raising the temp of the mash before draining the wort to the boil kettle? If that's so, how does one go about that? Just adding more hot water to the mash?

Same with infusions. I see things listed as a single infusion batch/sparge recipie, and have no idea what the infusion part refers to.

Anyone care to clarify those concepts a bit for me?

Mash-out simply refers to the raising of the mash temperature, usually to 168ºF or so, to stop the action of the malt's enzymes. It's not necessary, though some people find it helpful in producing consistent beers. How to go about it depends on your system, but certainly it can be done by adding a properly measured quantity of boiling water.

An infusion is just the addition of hot water to grain. A single infusion mash is one where the water is added at a particular temperature, and then kept there for the full duration. This is in contrast to a stepped mash, where the temperature is raised in a series of increments to manipulate the ways in which the enzymes perform. Most mashes these days are of the single infusion type.

And lastly, batch sparge is a way of rinsing your grains after you have drained your mash and collected the first runnings (the first liquid drained from your mash tun). In a batch sparge you fill up your mash tun after it has been drained with water hot enough to bring it to mash out temperature (as Malfet said, typically 168). You let this sit for 5-10 min and then drain to collect your second runnings. You can also fly sparge. Searching for the terms "batch sparge" or "fly sparge" will bring up homebrew wiki articles that can explain both variations.

So, a single infusion, basicly is a fancy way of saying 'add your strike water'?

Back