Looking like I’m going to have a lot of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave T

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I’m looking at 10 gallons right now bottled, 4 cases plus a few extra 22oz bottles because for some reason it never works out (not a bad thing unless it’s less I guess), and I’ve only been doing this a month. I have only drank one bottle of my first brew - needs more time, but I’m looking at brewing every other week or so. Now I do drink a lot, and could probably keep the inventory down to a reasonable level once I get a good head start on aging, but while it’s aging...by my rough calculations, at any given time when I’m through a full cycle I’m going to have about 10 cases sitting around somewhere.

What do I do with it? I mean, drink it, yes, share it, yes. But storage - do I store it warm, on a shelf, and put it in a refrigerator when I’m ready to drink it, or do I let it sit out for a decent amount of time then refrigerate it (in which case I need a bigger fridge)?

And now I see why so many people keg their beers. I see that as a very realistic sooner rather than later investment. I already have a CO2 system, I guess I just need some kegs.

Depends on the style of the beer. Darker beers tend to get better over time. When I bottled I always kept a few in the fridge, and the rest were in the basement on a shelf, no matter what the style.

Bottled beer shouldn't need more time unless you're talking about carbonation levels or extremely big beers (RIS and barleywine comes to mind).

My advice is always focus on quality instead of quantity.

I have at least 500 bottles hidden away. I drink average abv Pale Ales and IPAs fairly quickly, but with almost anything else (Belgian, Sour, Stout, Porter, Barley Wines, etc, and even some big IPAs), I tend to lose bottles to be discovered later, sometimes years later.

Miine are stored in beer boxes in the basement. Some on shelving for easy access, and some in the crawl space.

I've got to get back to brewing. Haven't brewed his year yet. I probably have over 100 empties. Not that I've not got anything to drink.

Once carbed, definitely refrigerate to extend the shelf life.
once bottled, you suggest storing in the fridge, how much longer is the shelf life?

Right now I just stick the beers that I will be drinking in the fridge the night before, the rest just sit in a closet. Of course I don’t have a massive inventory as of yet....

You’re better off having bottles in the fridge longer than overnight if you have room. Given a week they will drop clearer and more CO2 will be absorbed from the headspace into the beer.

Once carbed, definitely refrigerate to extend the shelf life.

Again, this totally depends on the beer. I've had beers that were not very good as soon as they were carbed. After a couple/few months on the shelf they become a totally different beer.

Dave T - I think people lost sight of the real concern here: WHAT to do about all that beer piling up. After long thought and some discussion with a few others on the board, it has been decided that this is FAR too big for one person alone to handle. We will be over forthwith to help you alleviate the severe storage issue at hand. No need to thank us! It is the least we can do for a fellow brewer!!!:bott::tank::cask:

Depends on beer, I think. Hop forward beers, I'd consume quicker and give out to friends and family. More of the malt forward beers, I'd store in a dark place and keep some in the fridge to test out over time. Good opportunity to see how particular beers develop with time.

Back