Looking for thoughts on Sierra Nevada - Blindfold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
Anyone tried it? Any ideas on a recipe.
Had a few this past weekend. Tastes allot like a stout but dryer and hoppier. Would really like to build something close. Any ideas?

Sierra Nevada's description:
Bright hops pierce through roasty darkness.
Blindfold blankets us in darkness yet maintains a surprisingly light body and bold, hoppy character. This black IPA emerged from our Beer Camp program and builds on Sierra Nevada’s legendary love of hops with roasted malts for depth and complexity. Like its namesake, Blindfold is a bit disorienting—the color of a stout and the intense, hop-forward flavors of a classic American IPA.

•ALCOHOL CONTENT 6.8% by volume
•BEGINNING GRAVITY 16.4° plato
•ENDING GRAVITY 3.6° plato
•BITTERNESS UNITS 70
INGREDIENTS
•YEAST Ale yeast
•BITTERING HOPS Summit, Chinook
•FINISHING HOPS Summit, Cascade, Galaxy
•MALTS Two-row Pale, Carafa III

Its just a black ipa/cda. Just make a dry IPA (no crystal) and add 4-6% carafa 3 special near the end of the mash. (or the begining of the mash if you do water chemistry, and dont mind a bit more roast)

The hop bill looks pretty standard for an IPA. Just sub in those hops.

Thanks for the input. I'll work on a recipe based on your comments and see what I can up with.
The taste of the Blindfold had a good roast flavor so I'll probably mash for the full time.

Its just a black ipa/cda. Just make a dry IPA (no crystal) and add 4-6% carafa 3 special near the end of the mash. (or the begining of the mash if you do water chemistry, and dont mind a bit more roast)

The hop bill looks pretty standard for an IPA. Just sub in those hops.

Thanks for your input on this. I just finished bottling and it tastes great. I'm a little shy on ABV but it was because of my water. We had recently had an issue with our municipal water supply and been switched to another source and didn't find it out until I had mashed in. Still about 6.4% and tastes really good.

Back