Looking for suggestions on yeast to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankmech

Reaction score
I have to brewers best kits. One a weizenbeir, and the other a American cream ale. Was just wondering if the yeast that came with the kits are good enough, or should I buy some different yeast to make these beers with. They are dry yeast from canister I believe. I just wasn't to improve the taste of the beer. Thanks for all the help.

Never heard of canister brand yeast before.

For the Cream Ale, a Kolsch yeast like WLP029, or american ale yeast like WLP001 or US-05 (dry yeast) will work well.The Kolsch yeast requires a fermentation temperature in the low 60s, so you may need a way to control ferm temperature.

For the wheat beer, I assume you are trying a German style wheat, I'd probably go with the WLP300. I don't have experience with other wheat beer yeast strains.

Regardless of the yeast strain, a stable ferm temp within the yeast's temperature range is a good starting point for making a good beer.

Guessing its just the stuff that comes under the lids on your HME. I agree with what CKing said and you should get good results, even better if you keep it within the temp range of those strains.

Danstar makes quality dry yeast - do you know what the strains are? I'm guessing they gave you Nottingham for the cream ale and Munich wheat for the weizen. I don't have experience with the Munich as I use liquid yeast for wheats but the notty should be fine to use.

If you have Nottingham, you will want to do your best to keep your fermentation temps down - like 59 or 60 F. At least for me, I find it tastes much cleaner that way.

For the American cream ale just a regular ale yeast. The weizenbeir there was a wheat yeast for that one.

Looking at pictures online unless they have changed the cream ale kit you have Nottingham. I agree with boydster on keeping the temp down (beer temp not ambient) during active fermentation. I usually ferment it around 61 but you really don't want to go over mid 60's.

Back