Looking for some thoughts on accidental over-utilization of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehopbandit

Reaction score
I was formulating a recipe for an American IPA using BeerSmith and had everything looking to be pretty good. However, I made a few errors along the way. The first being I didn't account for trub loss in the boil kettle, so I was a number of points off from my OG mark into the fermenter.

The second, more worrisome error, related to hop utilization. In my recipe formulation, I had planned to add all the extract (7 lbs) to the beginning of the boil. While doing the brew, I made the decision to add roughly 3 lbs as a late addition with 20 minutes left in the boil, instead. However, what completely slipped my mind was that this would have a big effect on hop utilization. After realizing my error, I redid the calculations and the IBU's shot up by about 15+.

I had originally planned to do roughly a 6.5%/63 IBU American IPA. Now, I'm looking at roughly a 6.2%/80 IBU, which makes it pretty darn hoppy.

My question is, what is your thoughts on this ratio? Ever made anything close to this? Obviously I won't know until I try the finished beer, but I'm just looking for thoughts on this and see if anyone else had similar experiences. Can you point to any commercial examples that are close to this approximate ABV (or FG) to IBU ratio? Thanks!

Most people usually talk about OG:IBU ratio as opposed to ABV to IBU. I am guessing your OG was around 1.065, so 65:80 in OG to IBU terms, which is pretty darn bitter.

I would estimate you beer at being at the upper end of the BJCP IPA definition in terms of bitterness, or it may turn out more like an IIPA, although slighly lower in alcohol.

IBU estimation varies in accuracy depending the formula you used. You could easily have a perfect IPA in the end.

I don't know off the top of my head, by many of the imperial IPAs have similar OG:IBU ratios; however, they are usually stronger in alcohol.

I know the IBU formula changes the IBUs based on wort gravity in Beersmith- but it's been discovered lately that IBUs are independent of wort gravity.

I think you're fine.

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure it will be drinkable (for me, at least) since I generally like hoppy beers. I was just concerned about it being very unbalanced.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see! Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't worry, if it really is too bitter - doesn't look like to me but that's my taste of course - you can let it sit a while, the bitterness drops off. My opinion about these sort of things is you need to take notes, don't worry some "mistakes" can end up as happy accidents, and the next beer will be that much closer to what you want. Keep in mind you'll end up with beer anyway - that's a good thing!

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

Back