looking for some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobShiska

Reaction score
My 1st Brew (nut brown ale) went great. My 2nd brew (pilsner) not so much... I use the true brew kits. 2 weeks in the fermenter, specific Gravity dropped to 1.020 from an initial of about 1.040. Decided to let it sit another week. Now at 3 weeks in the fermenter, its still at 1.020. Do i bottle and hope for the best or toss it and start over? Any help would be appreciated.

Don't toss it. What's your fermentation temp? What yeast did you use? Pilsner's are lagers, and should be fermented between 45-50 F. If you're at ale temps (65-70 F), then I'd expect that it would have fermented out already, but that depends on the yeast. You could try adding yeast energizer to bring it down.

It came with an ale yeast in the kit. i mistakenly thought it came with a lager yeast and kept it at a cool temp for a couple of days, but then brought it up to 68-69. It did ferment for a bit. but ive seen no action in a while. It also seems to be a bit amber. I figured the color would be much lighter. Do you think an energizer and another week in the fermenter would do the trick?

No. I think it will be fine. By the way, next time ferment around 60. 68-69 might be a bit high.

B

I had that happen once with my Burton ale. OG was 1.065,stopped at 1.020. Swirled up some yeast back into solution,& covered it with an old coat to raise the temp a bit to 20C (68F). It took 2 days to get going again to knock off a couple more points. Try that & see if it helps.

Back