Looking for single tier All grain brew stand info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryceefisher

Reaction score
Wondering if it would be better to build my own or purchase one? Anyone have a link to one that is not outrageously expensive? Or plans of a homemade version? I currently brew with a 10 gallon igloo cooler and want to take it to the next step because I just stumbled on 3 15.5 gallon kegs. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Bryce

day_trippr said:
The forum is chock full of examples. Look around...

Cheers

I have to agree. If you are looking to save $$ start with the DIY forum.
I am building a wooden 3 tier system for less than $40. I am documenting the process so I can post vid and pics eventually.
Start there and it will get the creativity going.

brewkinger said:
I have to agree. If you are looking to save $$ start with the DIY forum.
I am building a wooden 3 tier system for less than $40. I am documenting the process so I can post vid and pics eventually.
Start there and it will get the creativity going.

I can't wait to see your progress and results!

Hopefully the Beer Gods make it happen. Time is scarce with extra work in the summer months and family takes precedence in the summer (the 18 yr old me would definitely disagree).
Looking to do a brew day immediately upon completion of the build, it is an absolute must.

Only one burner SP10 at the moment that will serve double duty until I have $$ to get a good Blichmann.
But yes, the top tier will have a burner with concrete fiber board underneath and a $3 Walmart cookie pan/heatshield between the burner and the igloo MLT next to it.
It is really only 2 tier at first with burner on the ground until I decide how I want to build the storage area for underneath.
This damn hobby brings out all sort of crazy ideas to make DIY stuff and make it personal so it makes MY brew day easier and more organized.

The DIY forum has a thread on building a stand from unistrut. If you don't feel like learning how to weld, it's basically playing with grown-up erector sets. Doesn't get much easier

The DIY forum has a thread on building a stand from unistrut. If you don't feel like learning how to weld, it's basically playing with grown-up erector sets. Doesn't get much easier

That is an interesting thread. Where does one get such strut materials?
I also noticed a price in one of the threads and it was $142.

I am hoping to get the basic 2 tiers of mine done for about $37, and then an additional sliding lowest level on a track system of sorts that could be pulled out and used as a low shelf and then slid underneath as storage.

The other option that I have been considering (in an effort to make storage of the entire brew rig easier) is each tier separate and then have a bracket style connection to connect each piece together.

I will update this thread (if my memory allows) when the build is complete.

My local home depot carries unistrut, but it will be cheaper at your local metal supply shop. Industrial Metal Supply here on the west coast is great, but you should have something similar nearby. Stainless strut will be much more expensive than the green (cadmium? zinc coated? not sure) or galvanized stuff, which you can also use, it just won't be stainless.

I don't know where you're getting $37 but I'm not sure you could even get mild steel tube for that price welding it yourself. A track/roller system like you're describing will cost more than that in hardware alone. Remember, you're also going to want some heavy duty casters to roll this thing around on. You're liable to spend $10 apiece on those at least.

My local home depot carries unistrut, but it will be cheaper at your local metal supply shop. Industrial Metal Supply here on the west coast is great, but you should have something similar nearby. Stainless strut will be much more expensive than the green (cadmium? zinc coated? not sure) or galvanized stuff, which you can also use, it just won't be stainless.

I don't know where you're getting $37 but I'm not sure you could even get mild steel tube for that price welding it yourself. A track/roller system like you're describing will cost more than that in hardware alone. Remember, you're also going to want some heavy duty casters to roll this thing around on. You're liable to spend $10 apiece on those at least.

Do you have a link to that Diy thread?

I am the OP of the thread first linked to above. When starting it I never would've guessed so many people were in the same boat. Looking for a low cost material that was highly configurable (basically infinitely configurable) and super strong. There's a lot of info in that thread and takes a while to read, but well worth it if you're thinking of going that route. I also started strutstands.com for those that aren't as "DIY". I factor in the time it takes to cut it, prepare it for shipping, etc, which adds some to what it would cost you to build on your own. But it all shows up at your door and takes about an hour to assemble, if that (and with only one tool, a 1/2" wrench). The website also has a whole section on how to DIY one, which basically combines all the info from the thread.

Back