Looking for recommendations, WI/Midwest brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul07293

Reaction score
I'm going to Rice Lake, WI tomorrow on a business trip. I know about New Glarus, definitely looking to pick up some of their Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart. I assume I'll be able to find brews from Bell's and Founders. Any other local/regional brews I shouldn't miss? We don't get a lot of Midwest beers on the East Coast

Hmm- I like Lakefront (from Milwaukee) and Sprecher. I've found that I don't really like Central Waters or Point. Capital is "ok" at best, unless you can find one of their seasonals like their Blonde Dopplebock.

There is one beer by O'so that is amazing- Night Train.

Potosi is fairly good, I didnt like their tap as much as the their bottles,especially the tap pumpkin, and tapEnglish strong ale-they were pretty bad.I was going to get a growler when i visited the brewery but just skipped it.There is a new one (i think its new) called Game on,which i think is ok-pretty good.Most the commercial ones seem pretty average,maybe somebody local would know better though.New Glarus is your best bet so far. I like a few of Points beers but particularly their " whole-hog series" they have a pretty good pumpkin,imperial russian stout/barley wine.
I would look for some 3 floydes if they distribute there or some Great Lakes if they distribute there.Two brothers.I think Oscar Blues from the (West?) coast is distributed in that state-something i havent tried yet. Oh and Shaflay from ST.Louis-if distributed there.

If you are driving up through Milwaukee to get there stop at the Sprecher brewery. They open at 11 and they sell most of their beers at the gift shop. I really like their Pub Ale and the African beers they make, Shakporo and Mbeges (sp). They are also pretty liberal on their samples if you take the tour but you have to schedule it in advance.

Head over towards the minneapolis area and get some Surly, steel toe, fulton, brau bros. Theres many more, new local breweries are constantly popping up. The ale jail in st paul, or four firkins in st louis park have the best craft brew selection around. Nothing but craft beer. They are both liquor stores.

If you plan on traveling around the state you can find some good beer. In Northern Wisconsin you could head over to the Wausau area and try Bull Falls Brewery, Red Eye, and The Great Dane brewpub (great food and great beer). If you make it down to the Madison area a really good one is Ale Asylum (as previously mentioned). I would suggest going to their tasting room--something great about fresh on tap brews, plus they have some they don't sell in stores at the tasting room. More good ones in Madison or the surrounding area are Vintage brewpub, Gray's Tied House, Great Dane, Sprecher brewpub (their main brewery is in Mke), and Grumpy Troll (Mt Horeb).

If you're feeling really adventurous head to north eastern Wisconsin to the small town of Chilton. A small brewery called Rowland's Calumet has amazing beer. And if you make it over there you can take a trip up to beautiful Door County to get some great food and beer from the only microbrewery on the peninsula (Shipwrecked). Might as well hit up Hinterland and Titletown in Green Bay on your way up. :p

If you're not going to travel much, you could go to Leinenkugels which is close to Eau Claire. They've got some decent beer, and I've heard a very cool brewery (never actually been ther myself). I'd also do a quick search for brewpubs in the area if I were you.

Now you got me all excited. I love traveling around he state getting good beer. I think WI has excellent beer (just don't count miller-that's not real WI beer). :)

Btw, good idea on the Belgian Red. That is one amazing beer, especially if you like real cherries. New Glarus will definitely be the easiest one for you to find since its sold in most grocery stores in Wisco. Pretty much everything they make is good. You'll probably hear a lot about spotted cow, just remember that is the beer they've designed to pull people over to craft brews (worked on me).

I know Yooper has said before she doesn't like Central Waters but I enjoy their beers. They have a great IPA and they are coming out with a bunch of barrel aged brews that are really great. My wife will kill for the Satin Solstace.

Beer:
Sprecher - Black Bavarian Lager and Amber are the best in that order. The BBL won in a Men's Health issue.

Point - Cascade Pale ale. Yep I recommend this! It is a very light PA with a HUGE cascade aroma. Great summer beer IMO.

Lakefront: IPA, BIPA, River West stein beer, Bridge Burner and Fixed Gear are all excellent.

Oso's - Night Train Porter. Seriously good. Lupilis maximus IIPA has a hop cone in every bottle as such they are under carbed but tastey none the less.

New Glarus - Black Top. The new batch just came out it won at GABF last year it is a BIPA. I also like the Rasberry tart.

Central Waters - Satin Solictice. As previously mentioned.

Capital - Autumnal fire

Hinterland (Green Bay Brewing) - Luna coffee stout/Amber the rest are just "ok".

Minhas - Imperial Jack (Cheap IIPA for 2.99 a bomber, is very tasty IMO) and Chocolate Bunny.

Honorable mention:
Big Bay brewing co. - Boatilla and Long weekend are OK.

Shipwrecked and MKE brewing company have decent brews.

Half Craft:
Lienekugles, The Big Eddy stuff is OK but it is 1/2 craft I do not buy or drink it.

Not beer but worth the taste:
Look for a bottle of Death's Door White Whisky. It is a sour mash 80% wheat whisky. It is VERY different.

Also look for 7 year or older cheddar cheese.

Zamial said:
Half Craft:
Lienekugles, The Big Eddy stuff is OK but it is 1/2 craft I do not buy or drink it.

The Big Eddy imperial IPA is def. worth buying. 1/2 craft or not, do yourself a favor.

Two brothers Cane and Ebel. I also highly recommend their Hop Juice DIPA if you can find it.

The Big Eddy imperial IPA is def. worth buying. 1/2 craft or not, do yourself a favor.

I am sure there are 1/2 craft brews out there that do taste good, that is not the point. The point is, this is the only way I have to hurt BMC and this also allows me to support local craft brewers and regional crafty brewers at the same time. Miller/Coors (that is who owns Leinenkugel) last year past laws that basically make it impossible to open a new brewery/brew pub AND BE COMPETITIVE in one of the most cut throat markets around, in Wisconsin. All the breweries and brew pubs that were already in existence are grandfathered in so they have nothing to worry about, hence they have no desire to change the legislature. I literally could go on and on about this sort of stuff about BMC but I am not trying to sound like a maniac.

It's always fun to stick it to the man!

But wouldn't a law like that be unconstitutional because it stifles commerce and essentially establishes a local monoply?

I'd avoid goose island too now owned by AB/INBEV.

It's always fun to stick it to the man!

But wouldn't a law like that be unconstitutional because it stifles commerce and essentially establishes a local monoply?

I'd avoid goose island too now owned by AB/INBEV.

I do avoid GI now. As far as unconstitutional goes no, the bill was targeted at IN/BEV because they owned all but 1 distributor in the state. It was supposed to keep them from owning them all. However all the wording in the law targeted breweries that make craft size batches not macro. (I do not recall the exact numbers so I omitted them.) A beer monopoly would be rather impossible unless they were the only one and even then there can be rules that would allow it. It sucks but I take solace in a pint of home brew or 100% American owned craft beers.

Zamial said:
I am sure there are 1/2 craft brews out there that do taste good, that is not the point. The point is, this is the only way I have to hurt BMC and this also allows me to support local craft brewers and regional crafty brewers at the same time. Miller/Coors (that is who owns Leinenkugel) last year past laws that basically make it impossible to open a new brewery/brew pub AND BE COMPETITIVE in one of the most cut throat markets around, in Wisconsin. All the breweries and brew pubs that were already in existence are grandfathered in so they have nothing to worry about, hence they have no desire to change the legislature. I literally could go on and on about this sort of stuff about BMC but I am not trying to sound like a maniac.

While I'm all for hurting BMC, they do serve a purpose: keeping rednecks and uneducated people away from the good stuff.

Back