Looking for perfect grain crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Beak

Reaction score
Hello!
I've been reading a lot on this forum but here is my first post!
I received a monster mill grinder (mm2) for christmas, and the best gap setting I found in that forum is around .036-.038
So here is what I got with a first grinding, 2nd and 3rd grinding (picture 401, 402 & 403)
On the fist grind, it looks like lots 10% or less grain haven't been milled...
Is one grinding looks good enough, or I should mill the grain 2 or 3 times, or change the gap setting???
Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english, its not my mother thong!

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

Welcime to the forum!

It does look like you could tighten the gap a bit. Give it a try and see if the crush looks better.

For those using the card method for gap settings, does the card slide easily back and forth between the rollers? Or are you able to just push it through the rollers? If that makes sense.

It has been years since I had to adjust mine. I put the card up against the roller that stays stationary then slid the roller that is moved for adjustment over till the card stayed in place between the two then cranked the set screws down. Had to crank handle to move the card out.

For those using the card method for gap settings, does the card slide easily back and forth between the rollers? Or are you able to just push it through the rollers? If that makes sense.

I also use the credit card method (0.85mm - 0.90mm) making it tight enough such that the rollers move when the card is inserted (requires a bit of force to feed it through). It's a fine crush that has been yielding consistent numbers, easy lautering and no trace of the dreaded "astringency from husk-derived tannins".

Got a new grain mill. Used it today for the first time. Used to use the free grain mill at my LHBS, don't know what gap it was set at(assume ing .039).

I set mine to .035, using feeler gauges, mostly 2row grain bill, not changing anything else...efficiency went up 6%....went from 74% to 80%. Im sticking with .035 for now

There was an interesting thread in the Brew Boss forum the other day that has me really thinking about my crush:

I ran a .030 gap for quite a few batches and even with the pump output pretty restricted I would pump all the wort from under the basket/bag and have excess wort on top of the grains. In a sense a stuck sparge. I kept adjusting my mill out until the issue stopped which was around .037. Then in this discussion https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=543873 about recirculation. On page 6 starts the coarse grind discussion and this article on page 7
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/v...e-efficiency-for-small-brewers-craft-brewers-

I tried the coarse grind method, loved it and haven't looked back since.

Back