Looking for micro equipment to experiment with!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrSteve

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I would like to be able to play around with some brew recipes a bit. But, making an entire 5 gallon batch for each variation will be time consuming and will take forever to reach a good brew.

I was thinking about setting up the main boil and then separating that into 5 batches and then adjust the other ingredients. But, this would require a 1 gallon ale pail which doesn't seem to exist. I considered using glass carboys, but they would be an utter pain to clean.

Any thoughts or options please?

Thank you.

Steve

There are also plenty of wide mouth 1-2 gallon glass jars out there at various home/kitchen stores or amazon, etc., if you want to go with glass. Those would be good if you are considering aging a gallon or two, as a 2 gallon bucket would probably let too much oxygen through the walls.

Thank you - I honestly hadn't considered finding a wide mouthed glass jar...then found this 64 oz jar for $5.25...that's plenty of batches :)

http://www.selinanaturally.com/glas...BiSNCIAOl1EeE_oJFlQTkAc_KUKUEwDli4aAllT8P8HAQ

There are also plenty of wide mouth 1-2 gallon glass jars out there at various home/kitchen stores or amazon, etc., if you want to go with glass. Those would be good if you are considering aging a gallon or two, as a 2 gallon bucket would probably let too much oxygen through the walls.

You can usually get growlers from your local watering hole for $5. Stick an airlock on that bad boy and let it roll! That's my plan, just collecting the glass now :rockin:

64 ounces and easily replaceable, replicable. Oh, and no shipping charges.

I found a couple of cheaper sources that were about $3 for a 1 gallon canning jar with lids. Plus shipping makes it around $5 a piece. Lol getting sir locks will be more expensive.

Hi Guys,

I would like to be able to play around with some brew recipes a bit. But, making an entire 5 gallon batch for each variation will be time consuming and will take forever to reach a good brew.

I was thinking about setting up the main boil and then separating that into 5 batches and then adjust the other ingredients. But, this would require a 1 gallon ale pail which doesn't seem to exist. I considered using glass carboys, but they would be an utter pain to clean.

Any thoughts or options please?

Thank you.

Steve

Take a look at the following article. The poster started with 21 gallons, split it among seven 3-gallon buckets to assess different yeasts, then further split those 3-gallon ferments down to smaller containers to asses the addition of different fruits. Just a crazy assortment of beers from that initial batch.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/funk-in-the-house-part-ii.html

Back