Looking for LHBS in Carlisle PA area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscutter

Reaction score
I've got a friend in the Carlisle area (Boiling Springs) that would like to get into homebrew and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a LHBS in that area? I was planning on donating some "extra" equipment to him and was hoping there was some place local that he could pick up the rest.

I searched online and the closest place seems to be Smitty's Homebrew Shop, but I'm not sure they are still around (their website seems abandoned). Anyone from that area know for sure if they are still open?

Well, I would try the phone number. My LBHS here in NJ has a horrendously out of date website, but they are still open.

You aren't too far from Harrisburg... A friend of mine (and a member of my homebrew club) works for Appalachian Brewing. Maybe sometime you could stop by there and ask him (Jason) if he knows of any good places. Mention you know someone from Gloucester County HB Club and he will likely help you out.

Reminds me, I need to call him and get the cherry stout recipe of his from when he was brewing for Red Bell in the Wachovia Center. :D

Here's what Google finds if you expand out to Harrisburg:
[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=WuO&q=homebrew+supply+harrisburg+pa&btnG=Search[/ame]

Do yourself a favor as well, pick up a copy of ASN and Mid-Atlantic Brewing News. They list supply shops in their listing of good beer places to go.

Thanks for the responses.

I saw Mr Steve's, but it seemed a bit out of the way (I don't expect my friend to be willing to travel too far for this. At least not at first :D )

I'll suggest that he try Smitty's phone number too.

Thanks again!

Scotzin Brothers (limited hours)
(717) 737-0483
65 N 5th St # C, Lemoyne, PA

I've been to Mr. Steves also. I would say the service is better at Mr. Steves. Real nice people down there!

SCOTZIN Brothers is the place for him to go! I also been told about a place on Factory St in Carlise, behind Carlise tire & wheel, soory don't have any further information that that!

madscutter said:
Thanks for the responses.

I saw Mr Steve's, but it seemed a bit out of the way (I don't expect my friend to be willing to travel too far for this. At least not at first :D )

I'll suggest that he try Smitty's phone number too.

Thanks again!
If I remember, Carlisle to York is only about 30 miles. Manchester is closer by a couple of miles. This is not a long distance to save on shipping charges, discuss recipes, techniques and supplies with a real person. :D

I don't think anyone actually lives next door to their local HBS. My "local" HBS is over an hour away.

Mr. Steve's and Scotzins are both great - I've been making the slightly longer drive to Mr. Steve's lately though. Good service, nice guy, and a nice grain crush to boot...

You ain't kidding about the limited hours.. I wish they were open a bit more so that if I need something on Sunday I don't have to wait till the next Saturday to get it. I can't make it there by 5 on Wednesdays... Even still I like the fact that they are 5 mins away for me on Saturdays.

Anyone got their grain crushed there? What do you think of the crush. I have just started to AG and get crushed grain from there and my Eff % is low but I know that is because I am a newbie, but I wanted to know once my get the technique down how they crush was going to affect the eff %.

homebrewer_99 said:
If I remember, Carlisle to York is only about 30 miles. Manchester is closer by a couple of miles. This is not a long distance to save on shipping charges, discuss recipes, techniques and supplies with a real person. :D

I don't think anyone actually lives next door to their local HBS. My "local" HBS is over an hour away.

Mine is 3 miles away. They just got a shipment of kegs last night, too! :rockin:

Back