Looking for input on an All-Grain brewing set-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTOutlaw

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am in the process of researching to build an all grain brew stand. I am looking for everyones input on the difficulties they had in their build and what they did to overcome them. Also open to ideas on what people think works best. I want to brew up to 15 gallons of the gods sweet nectar at a time, and will make the stand out of angle iron. Budget is not really a concern, I will be building it as I go, but have about 2500 total so far to invest into this.

Lets hear what ya got!:mug:

MTOutlaw said:
Hey y'all,

I am in the process of researching to build an all grain brew stand. I am looking for everyones input on the difficulties they had in their build and what they did to overcome them. Also open to ideas on what people think works best. I want to brew up to 15 gallons of the gods sweet nectar at a time, and will make the stand out of angle iron. Budget is not really a concern, I will be building it as I go, but have about 2500 total so far to invest into this.

Search the forums for the thread on building a brew stand out do strut. Much better than angle iron. I've posted pics of my design in that forum. Lots of us on HBT are very happy with their results.

Hey y'all,

Are you looking to do a single tier stand with pump(s), or three tier gravity setup, or something in between. I built a very simple three tier gravity system from 1" box steel. I have 2-10.5 gallon polarware pots for HLT and boil kettle, and a cooler mash tun. It works great, and it cost about half your $2500 budget. My brother has an elaborate one barrel system with pumps and it also works great, but easily doubles that budget.
You also stated that you want to do UP TO 15 gallon batches. What size batches do you plan on commonly brewing? If you plan on doing mostly 5 gallon batches, a kettle large enough for 15 gallon batches might be too big for 5 gallon batches. The only thing I might have done differently is to go with 15 gallon pots so I could do a 10 gallon batch if I wanted to.

Thanks for the swift responses!

I plan on doing mostly 15 gallon batches as I keg 5 bottle 10 to distribute in my family.

I'm open to anything from a gravity fed 3 tier system two a 1 tier. I have only brewed on a gravity system and liked it but didn't know if the majority was siding with one way or another and their reasons why. As far as my budget I'm doing all the construction of this project. I said angle iron because I have a ton of it laying around.

Back