Looking for Help Going AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kostyak

Reaction score
I'm an extract homebrewer that's ready to go all-grain. Have been reading up on what equipment that I need to add, and wanted to ask you if there are pieces that I absolutely need to have (i.e., an larger brew kettle & propane burner), while using make-shift equipment for other tasks (my current 5-gallon brew pot as an HLT).

I don't see myself doing bigger than 5-gallon batches, though I might want to try my hand at Imperial brews (9-10% ABV). (Would love to see pics of your set-up, if you got 'em).

kostyak,

Check out the "BIAB Brewing" subforum here. That defines the minimum set of equipment needed for all-grain brewing. All that is needed is a large kettle, a burner, and some sort of bag for straining the grain out of the wort. Just one vessel is all that is needed. I use an 8 gallon kettle and have used paint strainer bags from Home Depot. I've done big beers by batch sparging in a fermenting bucket (which raises my vessel count to two). Pretty easy and I see no need to go to a more traditional three vessel system.

Good luck - go for it! It is easier than you think!

I'll second starting with BIAB. I brew both 3-vessel and BIAB, and with minimal investment you can get started with BIAB, and if you ever want to go to three vessel, the large pot can be your boil kettle or your hot liquor tank.

A variation on the above is to do the BIAB mash in a cooler rather than the kettle. That is how I started. I put my bag in a cooler, added the water, added the grain, stirred and closed it up. No worry about mash temp falling. When the mass was done I pulled the bag, drained it in the cooler and than dumped the cooler to my kettle. It also allows you to do a sparge of your grain is you want to.

Don't discount moving past 5 gallon BIAB batches. If you buy right the first time, you won't have to rebuy later down the road. I recommend a 8 gallon brew pot / mash vessel (forward compatible should you go to double-batches). As rlmiller10 mentions, having a cooler is great addition for stability. Here's what I use: mashtun, fermentation chamber, storage and conversation piece all-in-one.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=241331&stc=1&d=1418365635

IMG_0035.jpg

BIAB definitely. Get yourself one of these (link below, don't forget the lid) and a bag from Wilserbrewer and you may never look at going three vessel.

http://m.staples.com/touch/product.html?sk_test=a#1115499

And if you're looking to go with the absolute minimal investment, you can do stovetop BIAB. A bunch of us here do that and never have to step foot outside.

You already have nearly all you have to have to start all grain. Add a bag and you can do a small batch in the 5 gallon pot you already have. I do 2 1/2 gallon batches that way all the time because it is quick, easy, cheap, and gives me the opportunity to try a lot of different recipes without drowning in my beer.

Back