Looking for granny smith carbed cider recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I have done, and it has turned out pretty good for me. Assuming you know the basics...But you have to keg...

Harris teeter apple cider 4 gallons.
2 lbs WHITE sugar
Safeale US05 yeast.

Let it get down to 1.010

Backsweeten with another gallon of Harris Teeter apple cider, a pound of white sugar, and here's the secret - Monin Granny Smith Apple Syrup, available at Amazon.com. I used 4 oz the first batch, and a hint of sour apple came through. Going to try 10oz the next batch.

You ought to end up around 6-7%, IIRC.

Throw it in the fridge for 2 weeks at 12psi, then enjoy.

Using brown sugar or natural sugar like so many of the recipies recommend give the cider too much of a caramel or "dark" sweet that's hard to describe, that is not my favorite.

My wife has hated every beer I've brewed and cider I've made, but says that this one is the closest to the storebought, and is the best I have made.

I personally love Hornsby, even if it is poo-poo'd by the purists for artificiality, so that is the flavor I hope to end up with eventually.

Other cool thing is the syrup gives the cider a bit of a green color.

Anyone got a good one with exact instructions?

no but in my 'normal' apple blend for dry cider i try to incorporate about 10% granny smiths for acidity, that's more than enough tartness, 100% is going to be a tear jerker, imo

I've done pure Granny Smith before and it was way too tart to drink for a little over a year. It underwent a malo lactic ferment in bulk storage and it was a bit more palatable. I ended up eventually blending it with some cider that lacked the body I was seeking. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back