Primary fermentation - smell so bad!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srimmey

Reaction score
Any know why primary fermentation is putting off notes “taco shits”? It’s turning my house into the big of eternal stench.

Will it cause off flavors in my cider down the road? The recipe I used is posted below…

Started 11/20/22
OG = 1.080
Target abv = 10%

5 lb honey, 1 gal sweet/tart Granny Smith cider 2 gal pink lady cider, 1.5 gal opal cider

71b yeast, rehydrated with 6 grams of gofirm 3 hours prior to pitching
Added 8 grams of fermaide K and 2.5 tsp of pectin enzymes with pitch.

This is very normal. If you can smell it now, it will not be in the cider later. Just needs time for it to all gas out. Sulfur is leaving your cider. This is a good thing.

Actually, with the added honey, this is not just a cider but a cyser. Looks like it should be tasty.
That is great news, thank you! I have fermented a fair amount in the past 4 months, this was by far the stinkiest time.

I always thought a cyser was 50%+ honey. This recipe comes out to only about 30-35% honey (apple juice is around 1.050, honey is 1.035 per pound).

I find putting a hop sock with some aquarium charcoal in it on top of a 3 piece airlock absorbs that sulphur smell.

Looking for some advice on this cider…

The 71B yeast converted a bunch of acid and the cider is now …flabby... for lack of a better word.

I picked up some malic acid to add back in, where is a good starting point for a 5 gallon batch?

Back