Looking for grain miller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrisds9880

Reaction score
Was looking into getting a grain miller. wondering if anybody has had success long term with any of the ones on amazon, or should I just get one from the local homebrew store?

Have a look at the Ugly Junk Corona mill thread. I got mine off of Ebay for about 20 bucks and put it in a 5 gallon bucket like in the thread.
Bob

I second the ugly junk thread. I picked up a corona style mill from Discout Tommy via Amazon for $20. Added an aquarium pump for $6 to get free shipping on all if it. :). Works great, too.

I was thinking of getting the corona mill myself. Bed,bath,& beyond sells fancy kitchen gadgets,so I'll check there. I ordered a PM cascade pale ale kit from midwest,& checked yes on grain crush. It sure doesn't look like it. Just looks like the hulls have cracks in them.
But I also saw elsewhere that the corona mill grinds the hulls up too much,making tannin leaching easier to happen. What do you guys say?

unionrdr said:
I was thinking of getting the corona mill myself. Bed,bath,& beyond sells fancy kitchen gadgets,so I'll check there. I ordered a PM cascade pale ale kit from midwest,& checked yes on grain crush. It sure doesn't look like it. Just looks like the hulls have cracks in them.
But I also saw elsewhere that the corona mill grinds the hulls up too much,making tannin leaching easier to happen. What do you guys say?

I've never detected it in my brews... If its good enough for Charlie Papazian, it's good enough for me!

unionrdr said:
Ok,cool. What should the pitch between the crushers be set at (if that can be done)?

You'll have to experiment once you get it. On mine, I tightened I up all the way then backed off a couple turns and ran a handful of grain through til I got it where I wanted it.

Just an update, I did pick up a Corona grain mill, made a larger hopper at work, tested it out and surprisingly it worked great. Came across a 1/2 hp motor, now to set that up so it will be independently motorized. (not using a drill.) do have concerns though as I have had the grinding plate jam up using a drill.

Back