Looking For An Easy Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just been given an 5 Cu Foot freezer. I was looking to convert this into a Keezer. My idea is a dual keg system. One Homebrew and One 1/6 sixtel. Im looking at an easy way to get it done and hopefully not too expensive. I just need a good website to buy from and a good how to on how to accomplish this. Any tips or info im missing would be gladly appreciated!

First, get a kegerator conversion kit from somewhere and a johnson controller. For the keezer: Measure the sides of your freezer, write them down, go to your hardware store, have them cut a 2x8 to the correct lengths, screw the boards together, spray with a protective coat or stain and poly, drill holes for shanks, take the lid off the freezer, place your new collar on top of the freezer after putting down liquid nails, screw the lid back on the collar. Attach your Johnson controller, run the gas and beer lines, and you're done.

If you want really, really cheap then you don't need to construct much of anything! You can just get a temperature controller (Ranco or Love seem to be the most popular) for your freezer and use picnic (or cobra or party or whatever you call them) taps inside the freezer. No need for a collar or a coffin or fancy stainless steel taps or any of the stuff that actually makes keezers expensive (seriously, buy a couple perlick taps and compare to what you actually spent on your freezer).

That said, I went the full-on-custom-keezer route and freaking love it (and my fancy SS taps). But for cheapo, all you really need is co2, gas and beer lines, and a cold place to put it all.

But for cheapo, all you really need is co2, gas and beer lines, and a cold place to put it all.

This is what I did and I am excited to be drinking my first "kegged" beer. Seriously if you got a free freezer get a kit with a CO2 tank and lines, a temp controller and you're there:mug:

Back