Looking for alternative cover crop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjpfeister

Reaction score
I know that I have seen the use of white clover suggested several times as a cover crop to choke out weeds in the hopyard. My plot is is easily accessible to deer, very near a highway and adjacent to a veggie plot. I'm not certain that I want to be planting deer bait. I was wondering if there are any other suggestions that I can mull over. Thanks!

Given some more reading on the subject, I'm not sure there is going to be a better one. But I am still curious what others have used if not clover.

Dude, hops and venison. What's wrong with that?

There are very few other things you can cover crop with that work as well that the deer won't like. But they like the clover, not the hops so your crop is fine.

Here in northern CA we often are overrun by deer coming down from the hills to eat the roses to the ground or almost anything they can reach - I have heard that a lot of people get a motion detector which is attached to a water head - you turn it on at night and it sprays the area that moves. This should send the deer running... unless they get smart and just brave the water which can happen I hear.

Take a look:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6ge8s9hj69_b

around here clover grows fast enough the deer are a non-issue.

I'm not sure there's any groundcover that's economic and that won't attract the deer. As another said, though: better they eat the groundcover than the hops?

You'll want perennials that aren't too vigorous; while you want them to out compete the weeds, you don't want them to out compete the hops either. You'll want to be able to mow them without killing them, and not have to pay seeds and planting every year. Buckwheat's not really a good option, in my opinion.

The local coop would probably have species to suggest for you. A legume and grass mix is usually better than a monocrop cover. The best species will vary depending on your area. White clover is regularly used, but personally, in my region, I'd opt for birdsfoot trefoil instead. But that legume grows particularly well in my area, it might not in yours.

As a beekeeper in western Québec, a groundcover mix I'd favor would be made up of birdfoot trefoil, chicory, and meadow foxtail, plus probably some more expensive seeds I'd use sparsely in the hope they'd gradually reseed themselves and multiply (ex: chives). I'm planning on testing it out soon, but I haven't had the chance to do so yet, so I'm mostly basing myself off limited trials, observations, and, mostly, literature.

If there are any orchards in your area, might be worth looking at what seed mixes they are using themselves and going with that.

We work with over 600 hop yards across the nation. The best cover crop feed back we get is a combination of Daikon Radish, wheat, and barley. We advise against clover as it has proven to be too evasive and hard to kill. In most cases profits acquired from the yields off the cover crops have been substantial for many of our growers.

Not that you mention it, I've often heard of white clover being too competitive. But I do see clovers frequently used, at least red clover and alsike clover, though the few cases I've really looked at first hand didn't really seem to suggest these were ideal species (poor stand).

why not barley...it'd be a cover crop you can use in your brews, just a thought.

Except cover crops are *generally* tilled-in. He would have to wait to harvest his barley, at which point the utility of the cover crop is basically gone.

You mean as green manure to prepare the field before planting? I thought he meant between the rows, to avoid bare soil.

so did I. Basically a living mulch but in the case of a homebrewer , a definitely usable off product.

Barley is suppose to have antifungal properties as well (may kill mildew spores)

Sorta, i cant remember where i originally found that (i will pick my memory), but it seems like the staff at Great Lakes Hops confirmed it.

Fungus often target certain families of plants. I'm not familiar with hop diseases specifically, but I know some diseases that affect corn will also affect other monocots, but if a groundcover or rotation with dicots is used, the spores released will (partly) germinate on those and, being unable to parasitize them, die. And vice versa, including grasses in a rotation will help lower fungal diseases in dicot crops like canola or sunflower. I believe I'm thinking of sclerotinium for dicots and fusarium for monocots.

If mildew passes part of its' cycle in the soil before releasing spores into the air (I have no idea if it does), non-target crops like grasses (barley) could offer some protection. But someone who knows mildew more than I do would need to pitch in.

ok, the guy asked about a cover crop in his hop yard ,not about mildew or fungus. actually it doesn't matter what he has planned to plant .
If you want to plant a cover crop or at least something that you can plant once to choke out weeds and not be another (weed) to worry about later , plant an annual like annual rye grass or annual bluegrass. Plant heavy. It will grow only one year , stabilize the soil and offer a cover so weed seeds cant get an easy hold. After its 1 season life cycle it can be tilled in for nutrients . Just keep in mind that while it is growing it will compete somewhat for water and nutrients so you might want to water more or fertilize to compensate.

@Soulshine2 Cover-cropping does matter in regards to mildew though. It creates a humid microclimate in the basal canopy of a hopyard, which contributes to conducive infection and development conditions for downy mildew. If left unmanaged, it can outright kill highly-susceptible varieties.

In regards to antifungal properties of barley/wheat/rye, the research out there is talking in relation to host-specific pathogens of barley/wheat/rye. I cannot find any evidence that suggests or accurately depicts antifungal properties towards hop pathogens such as downy or powdery mildew, which happen to be specific to hop (i.e. they will not infect other plant genera).

We work with over 600 hop yards across the nation. The best cover crop feed back we get is a combination of Daikon Radish, wheat, and barley. We advise against clover as it has proven to be too evasive and hard to kill. In most cases profits acquired from the yields off the cover crops have been substantial for many of our growers.

I'm trying to figure out what to do on a home scale, so I have a couple questions. Any specific timing on what's planted when? What cover crops are actually being harvested? Or is it harvest some and till some?

My plan is to incorporate plants I can use. So grow radish and possibly beets early for harvest. Then carrots. Then more radishes for Fall. Then barley or rye. Still formulating a plan, so looking for some ideas.

I grow basil as a cover crop, my family loves pesto and other basil dishes. I have no scientific data to show basil is a good cover crop but the hops don't seem to mind in the slightest.

I have also thought about doing cold weather lettuce during the fall/winter (when it is too cold for basil but still warm enough to grow select plants here in Texas). Of course the cover crops are using up valuable nutrients in the soil and I am not tilling the entire plant back in as green manure so I will have to watch my soil quality and nutrient level to make sure I do not exhaust its resources.

That's my $.02, take them for what they are worth, I hope it works out well for you.

:O

Basil seeds cost a fortune! Lettuce a bit less, but still a lot! Feasible in the yard, maybe, but no more.

I grow basil as a cover crop, my family loves pesto and other basil dishes. I have no scientific data to show basil is a good cover crop but the hops don't seem to mind in the slightest.

I have also thought about doing cold weather lettuce during the fall/winter (when it is too cold for basil but still warm enough to grow select plants here in Texas). Of course the cover crops are using up valuable nutrients in the soil and I am not tilling the entire plant back in as green manure so I will have to watch my soil quality and nutrient level to make sure I do not exhaust its resources.

That's my $.02, take them for what they are worth, I hope it works out well for you.

I'm a big fan of basil but will probably keep it out. Fantastic in mashed potatoes. Nutrients gathered by other plants (outside of hop rows) isn't necessarily a big concern. For me it will be about maintaining soil structure, keep weeds down and utilize that space for my needs.

Lettuce gives me another idea. Thanks!

Not to thread hijack, but I am planning to plant a cover crop this season to prepare my soil for next growing season. I am overseas right now and won't get back until late spring so I won't be planting any hops until next season. I've heard a few recommendations on the best crop to plant that can be tilled under after a growing season to improve soil conditions, but I'm just trying to get some first hand experience from others with experience with doing so. Thank you!

Like brewcat said, daikon radish/driller radish. They will bust hardpan and scavenge deep nutrients. I like buckwheat because it makes lots of greenery and feeds my bees. I like barley as well, it may be up in the air if it does or does not combat fungus disease, but it cant hurt. After last years spider mite attack, i believe i will incorporate some sort of herb to attract carnivorous insects to help with that issue. Due to cost of seed it aint exactly a cover crop.

Latest posts

Back