looking for advice to save a batch of pumpkin ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimconnors

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice with a current batch of beer that I'm unsure of how to get into a bottle.

The situation is this:

a) the batch sat for several months in the primary, the yeast is likely dead and for about 1 month the airlock was without water. I know that the beer is basically not going to be what I expected, because its likely oxidized somewhat. Still want to bottle it and taste it. :cross: So I know I have to add some yeast to it either in the bottling bucket or in a secondary.

b) the bottom 3-4 inches in the carboy are filled with trub. Its not just the yeast trub, but also quite a bit of pumpkin (its a pumpkin ale) that was not removed from the wort before transfer to the primary.

Should I filter and move to a secondary, add yeast, then bottle in a few weeks as normal?

Should I filter into a bottling bucket, add the yeast to the bucket then bottle as normal?

Or should I just forget the filtering, (which I dont have the equipment for and have never done) move to the secondary with as little trub as possible and then just add yeast and secondary ferment, then bottle?

Reading this now, it seems to sufficiently portray the cluster$*&^ that this carboy being tucked away and forgotten has created :).

Any advice for a severely confuddled brewer here?

A couple of questions. Can you be more specific as to how long it has been in primary? Does the beer smell...like beer? What temperature has it been fermenting/sitting at? What kind of yeast?

I'll start by stating that I am no expert. If its been 3-4 months, I wouldn't think the yeast is dead unless subjected to hi temps or infected. If it smells ok and doesn't have a film on the surface, it probably doesn't have an infection. If its been in primary the whole time and not been transferred then it probably has a thick blanket of CO2 on top protecting it from oxygen and oxidation.

People have left beers in primary for upwards of 6 months without ill affect. I would say bottle as normal, but again I am no expert. Once you give us some more info we can help some more.

You may have a really good beer there. Only one way to find out. Like maxam said I would not recommend adding yeast.

* It has been in the primary for a little over 12 months.
* The original recipe alcohol level was to be 7.8-8.0%.
* The beer wouldn't have been exposed to high temps, but did spend about 4 weeks at about 40-50 degrees (f) this last January when our heat pump died and we had no heat through a cold snap in Dallas.
* There are a few (cringe) quarter sized spots on a thin film on the top of the beer.
* There was no water in the airlock for ~5 months (as best as I can estimate) and condensate on the inside-top of the carboy, which I think indicates that there is oxygen in there.
** I have not smelled or tasted the beer.

Should I sanitize a dip tube and take a sample from the beer to taste and smell?

Try it, if it tastes good then you prob dodged a bullet. Def take a sample to see if the gravity is where it should be. If you are at terminal gravity, I don't think adding yeast would help- there would be nothing for them to eat.

Back