Looking for advice on overpitched ester-dependent style..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahless

Reaction score
I am using harvested Safbew T-58 in the 21-23C range in the hopes of getting some banana and bubblegum aromas in a Belgian Blonde, but I think I may have over-pitched. I'm thinking about top cropping a big spoonful and growing it in a starter to get a highly estery few litres of wort to blend back in to save the day; is this just silly talk :drunk: or do I have a plan here? :fro:

Full story behind the overpitching:
* I wasn't sure what was yeast and what wasn't in my washed yeast, so I pitched the lot; it was either 60ml of good yeast and some trubby stuff or 250ml of harvested, cleaned yeast (medium or medium-thick slurry).

* Mr Malty recommended 79ml thick slurry, 142ml medium slurry or 355ml thin slurry; I was looking at underpitching so the 60ml would have done me fine but judging by the fermentation reaction I am now worried that the whole lot was mostly yeast and that the thin white layer might have something to do with the oats used in the last beer.

* The whole thing is machine gun bubbling away and woke me up 8 hours after pitching; if it was 60 ml I would have expected a longer lag time and less of a violent off-gassing at this stage.

i'm guessing you'll still get significant esters with that yeast, especially if you didn't add any oxygen. if it is bland, a few liters of "highly estery wort" in a 5g batch isn't going to matter much.

Thank you for the reply.
I had poured high and stirred vigorously for some aeration before pitching. At the moment I can't tell by aroma what it will be like as it is occluded by a young/greenish smell.

I will forget that odd idea off adding a starter. I plan to see what it is like and put most of it down to experience while saving a gallon to age onto some vanilla, adding some aroma into it.

Back