Looking for a thermometer for AG brewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhindian

Reaction score
Hi, I am making the jump to AG brewing soon and stuck on what thermometer to get..

I'm in between the Thermapen and a thermocouple from Thermoworks, specifically this:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html
+
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_wire.html : Model 113-372/373/375-T

The latter seems more versatile, especially considering the various probes available, but the Thermapen has the reputation already. I am concerned that the Thermapen probe won't be long enough to take the temps in a 70qt Mash tun, however.

Thoughts?

I purchased the thermapen and I absolutely love it, I don't have my full system together yet so I haven't brewed with it yet, but I use it everyday for cooking. My steaks, sausages, chops and roasts all come out perfectly now without hacking them in half to check colour... Sorry I can't comment on the brewing usage yet, but you won't be disappointed if you go with the pen.

Thermapen. They're accurate and pretty durable. Just don't dunk them all the way into your wort and you're fine.

I've used a few different thermometers with an attached probe and I had issues when the probe got wet. They were supposed to be waterproof and the lasted a few brew sessions, but then I found myself forking over $15 for a new probe. Unless the probe is designed to be fully waterproof I wouldn't buy it.

Yeah my only reservation about the Thermapen is the length of the probe... I want to make sure it'll be able to reach the proper depth in the mash and such.

Yeah my only reservation about the Thermapen is the length of the probe... I want to make sure it'll be able to reach the proper depth in the mash and such.

Well, this sounds really silly but if you stir your mash well so that there aren't any hotspots, the length of the probe shouldn't matter.

When I dough in, I stir well. I use my Thermapen and check the temperature all over. If it's different in any place, it needs to be stirred some more. Once the temperature is equalized throughout, it should be the same in the middle of the mash as in the top or sides- assuming the MLT is insulated or otherwise able to hold heat (like with a HERMS). I don't see the length of the probe (maybe 5-6 inches?) as any problem at all.

^ This...I have had my Themrapen for about 6 months and it is one of the best brewing purchases I have made. It is worth the money.

Well, this sounds really silly but if you stir your mash well so that there aren't any hotspots, the length of the probe shouldn't matter.

When I dough in, I stir well. I use my Thermapen and check the temperature all over. If it's different in any place, it needs to be stirred some more. Once the temperature is equalized throughout, it should be the same in the middle of the mash as in the top or sides- assuming the MLT is insulated or otherwise able to hold heat (like with a HERMS). I don't see the length of the probe (maybe 5-6 inches?) as any problem at all.

I have been waiting for months for someone to say what Yooper said. sheesh,,
get a Thermapen,,!!

Thermapen hands down... Just got mine, and I've used it for two brews. It's no more a guess. My numbers are dead on. I don't even bother with my Blichmann thermometers. It's expensive, but it's worth it in the pain it eases.

It's one of my better purchases... Among QD, Pumps, Kettles... Etc. :D

As others said GET THE THERMAPEN. You will doubt yourself at first until you've owned it several weeks and realize a day didn't go by when it did not come in handy even when it had nothing to do with beer. Man gotta eat.

Back