Looking for a simple/DIY temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
I am looking at getting the 120v. Boil coil 10g. version. Everything im reading says i cannot control it or work it without a temp controller/PID controller. I have a johnson temp control but was told this would not work. I did find this,
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/EBC-LT-120V-with-Infinite-Power-Control-306p4653.htm

but am looking at something that would do the same type of deal but not at the $350 range. Anyone know of a control that would work for this? Or a simple DIY project as i am not very great with electrical but links to what all i would need to tackle this and save some money?

I am trying to put together my own BIAB system using my 44qt kettle. I already have a pump and everything else with the exception of a heating element and controller to control the mash. Just something simple that wouldn't not need a ton of electrical engineering to work.

I am looking at getting the 120v. Boil coil 10g. version. Everything im reading says i cannot control it or work it without a temp controller/PID controller. I have a johnson temp control but was told this would not work. I did find this,
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/EBC-LT-120V-with-Infinite-Power-Control-306p4653.htm

but am looking at something that would do the same type of deal but not at the $350 range. Anyone know of a control that would work for this? Or a simple DIY project as i am not very great with electrical but links to what all i would need to tackle this and save some money?

Didnt you ask this question yesterday in a thread you started?... I could have sworn I recommended the jaggerbush controller yesterday to you? its the same pid as the more expensively marked up high gravity controller only the jaggerbush panel has a metal enclosure instead of plastic electrical box... High gravity has a better warranty but honestly theres not much to go wrong... The most expensive part in it is the $50 pid controller.

If you can follow directions (no real electrical knowledge needed) this would be an easy simple and very cheap build many here already use with great success...

http://stilldragon.com/index.php/diy-controller-kit.html

if your looking to use this to achieve a boil then yes you can just plug it directly in since it will be barely powerful enough to get 7 gallons to boil at 100% power unless you insulated it. you only need a controller for the 120v boilcoil if your using it to make say HLT water 170 degrees and no more... then a pid controller is better than the stilldragon one I mentioned.

Sorry not sure how I missed that last post appreciate all the help. Sorry if I posted twice

Sorry last question. If I went the still dragon route, could I add a digital temp control too that box and relay if I ordered say the large box. Something like this, View attachment 324556

No, The still dragon uses an ssvr and potentiometer... You would need a regular ssr and a pid for temp control the controller you linked has a 10amp relay and isnt really fast enough for heating element control.. some use it for that with an external relay but its not ideal at all.

Back