Looking for a New Online Merchant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderbread23

Reaction score
I'm in a dilema. The online shop that I've supported for years and years has seriously started to drop the ball. They used to be great, but now orders are taking well over a week to even leave their warehouse, and I am frequently greeted with messages saying the items I've purchased are not in stock. In a day and age of vast choice in retailers, I don't think this is good practice. I've decided to drop them like a bad habit and spend my cash elsewhere. I support my local shops, but often run into freshness or out-of-stock issues there as well.

That said, my perfect shop would:

1. Have a massive choice of malts, preferably indicating the maltster the grains are coming from. I like Northen Brewer's selection, but wish they would consistently tell you who the maltster is.

2. Be able to order malts in finite amounts (by the ounce).

3. Ship orders within a day or two of ordering.

4. Sell hops in the opaque nitrogen purged Hop Union bags (I'm not a fan of shops that break down large lots of hops themselves).

5. Offer reasonable shipping (less than $10 for a 5-gallon grain bill).

Any suggestions?

Sounds like another disenchanted Brewmasters customer.

FWIW I switched from NB -> Brewmasters and have now switched to Austins, the shipping was free (on all kits), otherwise flat rate and they shipped promptly. My first Austins batch is currently fermenting, but so far I am quite pleased. You do a pay a bit more for the kit, but it's still cheaper by far compared to NB/Midwest. Give them a try.

Ive been using northern brewer and have loved their service. Item ships next day without fail. It sounds like you dont buy kits so the only advantage to AHBS is their flat rate shipping. Either way, AHBS or northern brewer would be better than what you have now.

Sounds like another disenchanted Brewmasters customer.

FWIW I switched from NB -> Brewmasters and have now switched to Austins, the shipping was free (on all kits), otherwise flat rate and they shipped promptly. My first Austins batch is currently fermenting, but so far I am quite pleased. You do a pay a bit more for the kit, but it's still cheaper by far compared to NB/Midwest. Give them a try.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I've given them so many chances...

Anyways, I think NB is the way to go. I just don't like the min. 1lb order (for grains) -- I brew 2.5 gallon batches and often brew batches with 2-6 oz. of a particular specialty grain in it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Fortunately, my LHBS is less than ten minutes away & is rarely out of anything I need plus they meet all your other requirements re malts red info,etc.
I'm a happy brewer.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I've given them so many chances...

Anyways, I think NB is the way to go. I just don't like the min. 1lb order (for grains) -- I brew 2.5 gallon batches and often brew batches with 2-6 oz. of a particular specialty grain in it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

My LHBS only sells in one pound bags too but having extra malt around will never be a bad thing. You will want to experiment one day and wont have to wait for shipping because you already have them

I have had fantastic success with Austin Homebrew, they're great folks, have great selection, pack well... etc A+

I've gotten a few orders from Keystone Homebrew. They are located near Philly, so you could have your item in a day or two. Shipping for my last order was $13, but they have recipe grains that can be purchased by the ounce and list a variety of maltsters. If I recall correctly, hops are HopUnion as well.

My newest favorite is MoreBeer, but that's just because I'm utilitarian and don't care much about a huge selection most of the time. However, when I'm looking for something specific, Rebel Brewer and Austin Homebrew is where I go. Austin will probably suit your needs best since they have low flat-rate shipping and a good selection.

edit: I'll also add that ebrew.com (Alternative Beverage) sells malt by the ounce. Austin will only sell as little as 8 oz. of grains

Austin Homebrew will sell by the ounce if you want, and put your entire grain bill in one bag, if you want.

brewinginnc said:
Ebrew is my lhbs and they are pretty good.

They are the way to go. I used to live in Charlotte and go see them. I order from them now that I live in MD and they are cheaper than the local home brew stores here even with shipping. And it their cyst service is awesome.

Back