looking for a IDA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyo1977

Reaction score
I had some India Dark Ale from Iron Hill Brewery that was quit tasty and would like to make a batch. Does any one know where I could get a recipe?

Oh, you mean like a black IPA. I guess I have never heard it called an India Dark Ale before.

I would either grind up some Carafa special (huskless) very fine just for color. or you could add .25-.33 lb of black patent and chocolate malt to an IPA recipe to add some roasty to it.

Does Iron Hill sell sixers? I drive to Lancaster 4 days a week attending the HACC Campus there for cardiovascular tech classes.

I did one a couple months ago and I am finishing it up. I would cut the fuggles out of the dry hops and just use the cascade but here is what I used.

6.6lbs Bries Golden lite LME

2lbs light DME

1lb Caravienne grain

6oz chocolate malt

6oz 2 row carafe 1

2oz torrified wheat

60 minute boil

1oz Warrior Hops

At 30 min .5 oz Amarillo Hops

At 15 min .5oz Amarillo Hops

With 5 min left 1oz Cascade Hops

I think I used a dry english ale yeast also. WLP007 Figured it would highlight the roastiness of the specialty grains.

1.072 Starting Gravity

Brewed on 12/23/09
Transferred to secondary with dry hops on 12/31/09
Dry hopped with 2oz cascade and 2 oz fruggles

Bottled on 1/1/10 at 1.020 FG Primed with 3oz of corn sugar 6.9% ABV

I don't know what the Iron Hill beer taste like but look at my Imperial Bastard recipe (drop down) for some ideas. Don't need BP or chocolate to get it dark, unless their beer is quite roasty.

Hi smokinghole, they don't sell sixers it is by the glass or a growler. thanks for the recipe.
they have a 2 pizza and a growler deal for around 28 bucks right now

Back