looking for a 15 gallon round water cooler...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerSpeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun but really want a 15 or 20 gallon one so I can do 10 gallon all grain brews of higher gravity beers! Where can I find 1?

20 lbs of grain plus sufficient mash water takes up about 8 gallons of a 10 gallon cooler, so you should be able to realistically do almost 24lbs of grain in a 10 gallon cooler. That'll get you up to about 1.09, so that'll cover alot of even higher gravity brews.

Of course there is such a thing as larger coolers, just not the round rubbermaid kind. You'd probably need to move into the rectagular Igloo coolers. Most people recommend the 100 qt Igloo Maxx, which is almost 17 gallons:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=nIFzTui3FZGXtwfN_Lm-DA&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAQ#

20 lbs of grain plus sufficient mash water takes up about 8 gallons of a 10 gallon cooler, so you should be able to realistically do almost 24lbs of grain in a 10 gallon cooler. That'll get you up to about 1.09, so that'll cover alot of even higher gravity brews.

Of course there is such a thing as larger coolers, just not the round rubbermaid kind. You'd probably need to move into the rectagular Igloo coolers. Most people recommend the 100 qt Igloo Maxx, which is almost 17 gallons:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=nIFzTui3FZGXtwfN_Lm-DA&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAQ#

efficiency of your system also comes into play... lower efficiency will require more grain requiring more space.. UNLESS you make up the ABV using sugar/dme if you wanted to go that route..

He's doing 10 gal batches so 1.09 isn't happening in a 10 gal cooler. Also, 100qt is 25 gal, not 17. OP, I just bought a 70 qt Coleman Extreme on Amazon for $40. http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler-Blue/dp/B000G64I1A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1316202177&sr=8-4

Also, I don't think they make 15+ gal round coolers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own the little and big round Rubbermaid coolers as well as a keggle MLT. HEAD SPACE, HEAD SPACE, HEAD SPACE you want as little as possible to maintain steady temps. (Now slap yourself so you do not forget that!) I loose 1F in an hour in my keggle MLT (not electric or insulated) when it is filled to near the top, same as the coolers. By the time you spend up on a massive cooler that size you could have had a keggle. Get the right tool for the job!

Thanks for the replies. I know I need a larger mash tun to do the style brews that I prefer. I really like the round water coolers and want a bigger one in this style. I have several rectangle coolers that are bigger (from 48 to 150 quart) and was just wondering if anyone knew of a place to get a 15-20 gallon in the round coolers? Thanks :mug:

Here's what I did:

mlt-01.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/15-gallon-mlt-176701/

The seller sure was careful not to include a view of the inside :confused:

In any case, that's an uninsulated barrel, and the 15 gallon insulated round beverage cooler is still a unicorn...

Cheers! ;)

I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun but really want a 15 or 20 gallon one so I can do 10 gallon all grain brews of higher gravity beers! Where can I find 1?

Wal-Mart. In the Unicorn department, right next to The Holy Grail.

A round 15g Gott or Rubbermaid has been equally elusive...

Cheers! ;)

holy_grail_cooler.jpg

Certainly looks like a stretched 10g Rubbermaid cooler, I wonder if it uses the same plastic for the liner?
Inside dimensions are reported as 27.5" tall with a 13.25" diameter, about 1/8" wider bore than my old 10g Rubbermaid (if accurate). A generic 13"d domed FB with a silicone gasket might work.
At 2:1 H/D it's not exactly optimal for a MLT but it'd still likely work pretty well...

Cheers!

- Google Shopping
I have successfully run 24.5 lbs through my 10 gallon mash tun. I was at the very top so I feel that is the most possible with any efficiency.

For me, unless doing big beers a lot, would just figure on using some DME. Can correct PBG that way as well.

Back