Look at what came today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True_Sycko

Reaction score
IMG_20120203_162518.jpg

IMG_20120203_162811.jpg

IMG_20120203_164809.jpg

Its the Deluxe starter kit from Northern Brewer. I was going to wait for the groupon deal but couldn't wait any longer (ordered on Monday, doh) I just unpacked it and I am happy. The long box is a 28" patle. I decided to start off with making the Dead Ringer (Bell's Two Hearted clone). I do have a question about the airlocks though. It came with 2 plastic bubblers. I read these get stuff inside and can't really be cleaned. Should I pick up a couple of 3 piece or just wait until they get nasty? Also, should I fill them with sanitized water or cheap vodka? Also I just tired the hydrometer in water and didn't see a meniscus. I did see the water "holding" onto the hydrometer at 1.000. By "holding" on I mean the water was actually holding on at 1.000 and the rest of the water line was down maybe a mm or 2. Is this normal?

Now I have to wait for my kettle to come in!!!

Since I will be brewing next weekend, Should I put the hops in the freezer? Should I do anything about the steeping grains? And the extract is fine at room temp? Sorry First big boy kit (done Mr. Beer). ;)

Oh and I must say, Northern Brewer Rocks at packaging! I never seen so much bubble wrap before!

Thanks Mike :rockin:

I use sanitizer for my airlocks .fridge the extract freeze the hops and the meniscus is being read from tube it's in back up a little and you ll see it.

I have the same kit....ended up buying a few more carboys. The one piece airlocks work fine. Just soak them for a bit and rinse them out real good. I fill them with left over starsan from brew day.... Put the hops in the fridge till next weekend imo. Good luck!

Wait for your kettle to come in......?????

If it were me....I would have a batch of Apfelwein in one of those carboys already.

Just saying.... :cross:

Hey Mike! Man you're going to have fun. I'm thinking about grabbing that kit as well. Please give us a play by play and let us know how everything performs. I'm a new brewer as well so i'm trying to tread lightly.

Airlock Q: Yep fill with sanitizer. Do whatever you can do to clean them. There's alot of cleaners out there that can get crap out of tight spaces... plus you can always pressure hose them out with whatever means, then sanitize. In the end though, those airlocks are a buck-fiddy each at your local/favorite homebrew store so if one gets too caked up and uncleanable you arent out too much to replace it.

Hydrometer Q: This site has an AWESOME wiki. Here's the hydrometer wiki: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Hydrometer I'd suggest using it in a beer or something instead of plain tap water... sanitize everything first and you can still drink the beer afterward :p

Ingredient Storage Q: <snip> Edit: they already answered ya there so i'll just take that out.

Again, welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes!

Extract = Room temp

Hops = Freezer

I prefer the one-piece airlocks (I have about 20 of each type). If you don't get any crap in them, there is no problem cleaning them. If you do get anything in them, do not leave it for a while, Replace airlock as soon as possible and soak. Should do the job.

NB's packaging is indeed stellar. I've never had anything even come close to damaged. Cust service is also good.

The dead ringer is fantastic.

Nice! I got the basic kit from NB for Christmas myself; and promptly went to work adding enough to it to create the advanced kit :D

If you are worried about the airlocks at all just buy some 3 piece back ups. You can get a pack of 3 on Amazon for about $2.50 so they are cheap and easy to get as back ups.

I added 3 carboys and went with the three-piece airlocks (wife got me deluxe kit for christmas as well, but went to actual store in milwaukee).

Finished up my second brew day last night. Plan is to have three beers on tap by st patricks.

Thanks guys!

I ordered my kettle from a local restaurant store on Monday. He said it may take up to two weeks! Well, that didn't bother me because I figured I wouldn't get all my packages until next week. So, not since I have them I getting so impatient, lol.

I have one more question for those you did the dead ringer. Would you recommend the S-05 yeast or go with the Wyeast 1056 American Ale? Both are recommended. This will be my first time using a starter too.

Thanks,
Mike

Oh and I just popped open my last Mr. Beer kit, Sticky Wicket Oatmeal stout, which I added Cocoa, Lactose, Horizon @ 60, 2 huge vanilla beans, and used the Wyeast 1056 American Ale. Its only been in the bottle for a week but its been calling my name to try it. Well Its already decently carbed and its really good. Best way too describe it is Guinness Stout with a little more chocolate and vanilla. Its just really good. I dont think its going to last long!

I have one more question for those you did the dead ringer. Would you recommend the S-05 yeast or go with the Wyeast 1056 American Ale? Both are recommended. This will be my first time using a starter too.

I've never actually tried either of them; only used Chico yeast cultured from SN pale Ale. S-05, Wyeast1056, and WLP001, are all supposed to be the same yeast.

If it were me, I'd go with the dry because it is cheaper, easier to use, and easier to store. That said, I do exclusively use liquid yeast because I like the larger selection you can get.

No starter required (or recommended) for dry yeast.

I've never actually tried either of them; only used Chico yeast cultured from SN pale Ale. S-05, Wyeast1056, and WLP001, are all supposed to be the same yeast.

If it were me, I'd go with the dry because it is cheaper, easier to use, and easier to store. That said, I do exclusively use liquid yeast because I like the larger selection you can get.

No starter required (or recommended) for dry yeast.

Thanks for the info! So I will rehyrdate it. Would one package of dry yeast be enough?

Yeah,one packet will be fine. And never store LME at room temp,put it in the fridge. DME can be stored in the pantry though. Yeast in the fridge,hops in the freezer. Grains in the pantry too. I put all that dry stuff in a doubled up bags on a high pantry shelf.

True_Sycko said:

I used wyeast 1272 american ale ii. I've been washing it. It's clean, and my beers have been coming out nice and clear since it's a bit higher flocc'ing than 1056. I think all of them will be fine.

Back