Longevity of uncrushed specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi HBT.

I have seen similar posts to this, but they have usually concerned longevity of base malt.

I am in a situation where I have some uncrushed specialty grains (crystal, chocolate, black patent) left from my last batch which I brewed a little over a year ago.

I am about to order some new ingredients from my HBS but I'm unsure as to whether I should buy more of the specialty malts since they are one year old.

If I were to brew with them, would it affect the quality of my beer in a negative way, or can I use them just the same? They have been stored in a dark place in plastic bags which have been tied with knots.

Thanks in advance!:rockin:

If they are still in a sealed bag, id sya you are good. I had opened sacks of 2row wheat and pilsner that sat in my apt for 4 months before I got back to brewing and I didnt notice a difference.

Uncrushed and airtight and they will last a loooong time. I have used year old grain stored in airtight containers and they were just fine.

Taste a few grains! If you taste them and they don't taste stale or have a "mealy" texture- they are fine. If they are "off", then order fresh. I'd say it's 50/50 that they are still fine.

Kept dry, no grain wevils, and no vermin, and they will be good for years.

Briess says whole kernel roast malts may experience a slight loss of flavor after 18 months if stored low humidity, pest free and below 90 F.

Back